Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   TMS Announcements and Feedback (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Unable to Post? (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4820)

Lasher 03-22-2008 09:58 AM

Unable to Post?

We're getting an incredible amount of spam signups lately. Trying to make educated guesses based on hostname/username etc, but if you're on a public email service and not using a name that is very obviously MUD related, you probably haven't been validated.

Please send a quick email to with your user name and some mention of the MUD you play or just "Yes I'm interested in MUDs!" or whatever info you want to include that makes it clear you're not an email script and I'll get your validated asap.

Need to put a better/smarter captcha in place, but for now will have to work with this. Thanks!

Xerihae 03-22-2008 10:21 AM

Re: Unable to Post?

Wife: Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then?
Waitress: Eewwww!
Wife: What do you mean 'Eewwww'? I don't like spam!
Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Waitress: Shut up!
Vikings: Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Waitress: Shut up! (Vikings stop) Bloody Vikings! You can't
have egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam.
Wife (shrieks): I don't like spam!

Sorry, couldn't resist :p

Parnassus 03-22-2008 01:16 PM

At which point would we find if we're not validated? I've logged in okay, and pulled up the response page, so its safe to figure I'm validated? Or is this just to new accounts or to old accounts who have never posted? I'd prefer not to see a spam load of 'testing' messages so if there's a point before actually posting the message where we'll know, its best to post this for people like me who are slow to understand. Since I rarely post, chances are that by the time I actually have something to post this thread will have vanished into obscurity, leaving me to feel unwanted.

Xerihae 03-22-2008 08:51 PM

it's just newly-registered accounts. It doesn't affect you if you've already registered and got through, which your posting shows :)

wantacookie 03-24-2008 05:43 AM

He got me fixed up pretty quickly when I emailed. My name's not obviously mud related so I don't blame him for not validating me until I emailed. :)

prof1515 03-24-2008 07:03 AM

But it is! Back when I was on the staff of a MUD, I used to hand out giant cookies to people in the Guest Lounge waiting for character approval. Still do and will when we open our port for guests. :-D

wantacookie 03-24-2008 03:50 PM

LOL, that's great. I love it and had no idea!

Threshold 08-20-2008 03:39 PM

Has this been up long enough for it to no longer be an "always on" front page update?

All too often I click on this thread when trying to click the thread that is actually highest on the list. I think by now everyone who visits regularly knows about this. :)

Threshold 09-05-2008 02:44 AM

It just happened again. I went to click the first post on the front page, and accidentally clicked on this.

I think it would really improve the front page of TMS to get rid of the permanent link to this thread.

Threshold 09-07-2008 02:59 PM

THANK YOU! :)

*high5s Lasher*