Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD Builders and Areas (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Area-building priorities (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207)

erdos 07-26-2002 12:47 AM

I have noticed that some MUDs, especially ones which use the SMAUG codebase, will have their entire building council working on hardcore elite hero areas where the mobs have 32000 hp and have page after page of fight progs so that it takes a whole group of the most elite players to stand a chance.  And this is fine.
But what isn't fine is when they do this, whilest their MUD school and main town are the very bare minimum(or not even that much).  Or while their MUD school is just a long, boring succession of rooms with helpfiles for descriptions.  Maybe I am the one who doesn't understand:  maybe the poor quality MUD school and main town are meant to filter any potential "casual" players so that every single player is a badass hardcore mofo?  Maybe someone can enlighten me...
I don't mind this sort of thing on a pure-PK mud, like the old Godwars/Vampirewars, in fact on that sort of MUD i think stock areas actually have a sort of mysterious appeal.  (I would much rather go through a bloody PK battle in the middle of happy Smurftown than in the middle of some gothic-themed dismal town ruins).  But when I see poor quality newbie areas on a MUD which is "RP encouraged" or "PK optional" (basically your standard SMAUG) it just looks unprofessional, for lack of a better word.
Anyone care to comment?

Kyrene 07-26-2002 01:01 AM

Dre 07-26-2002 02:55 AM

Heya,

I didn't vote either, cause I like muds with boths, like Kyrene said.

I think though that stock areas serve a purpose, on new muds that is. Although if I login on a mud that has been around for 1 year then I really think they aren't doing much. As another negative it's easy to abuse by experienced players/admins who know where to find everything in stock areas.

Although I agree there are some muds where only the best characters will survive, I think it's better for the game and it's continuity to attract newbies as well, and train them well. Even in a pk mud, or pk oriented mud.

I'm not gonna say, it's done very well on the mud where I play, but it's the only thing I can really compare with, and I think they do it right, every hometown has at least one nearby newbie area, and the most common hometown has more then 5. The newbie camp has been changed several times to make it easier to learn the game.

Another thing that just came up, to keep players big mega hard areas for heroes have to be added once in a while, people will stay for them. Not necessarily for that mega good weapon in there, but just for a new challenge, beating that big mob first etc.

Greetings Dre

Brianna 07-26-2002 10:51 AM

I agree that a blend of good "newbie" areas as well as good hero areas are needed if a mud is going to last. I know on the mud I am head builder on I want to present challenges to all levels of players and have some builders working on newbie areas others in the mid range and couple on hero areas as well.

If a player leaves simply because stock areas are in place. What of the muds that are just starting and working with a good team of builders to develop original areas to replace the stock ones. This will not happen overnight, Since deciding to leave without giving the mud a chance will you come back in a few months to see if anything has changed?

Sorry to stray from topic but I have been wondering about those who post that if they see stock areas they leave immediately. While I realize stock areas are overused and passe, it takes time to develop areas to replace them.
Do you come back in a few months to see if things have changed? or just move on become an "elitist" type player that won't see the forest for the trees?

smadronia 07-26-2002 08:48 PM

Ideally all muds would have quality areas for all levels. Maybe not jaw dropping awesome areas, but they'd be decent. Barring that, my preference is for quality newbie areas over hero areas. The newbie areas can keep players, and hopefully by the time they've reached a hero level those areas will have either been re-vamped to look nicer, or there will be additional levels that are of a better quality.

Enzo 08-26-2002 06:53 PM

erdos brought up a good point about the MUD I play. I just realized that we only have one area for newbies to train, and then the next area is always the same. We should probably make one or two more areas that are focused on making newbies more hooked into our MUD. The Mudschool is very boring also there. Maybe we could get some other stuff to spice it up.

Anyways, thank erdos for bringing that up. I will definaetly post something to the mud.

Faye 08-26-2002 07:11 PM

Good newbie areas are a must. You have to get the players hooked early! I tend to be the type of person with a really short attention span, and if I don't like what I see within a few areas (either they are mostly stock, poorly done, or just plain boring) I will leave immediatley. Builders should focus on getting a loyal newbie playerbase first, then begin to treat heroes with cool zones as more and more of them appear. Build the base first, not the top!

TG_Hammar 09-04-2002 07:50 PM

I prefer there to be a great newbie area, ESPECIALLY with a newer MUD, where not all players are near a Hero level.

Years ago when we opened our MUD we concentrated on areas specifically geared towards newbies and lower-level characters. As the playerbase gained levels, we hurried to make at least 1 area at each level range. Now that everything is fleshed out, we concentrate on flavor and appeal and not just what we need built.

Jenred 09-17-2002 01:58 PM

The game HAS TO have great Hero/Avatar areas. Its like a must. I could care less about newbie areas, because most dont even bother to remove the stock, so I dont even get my hopes up about unique areas.

But if when Im done im done leveling and there are no unique or interesting areas to explore with all my perfected powers then Id be seriously upset and peesed oof.

So I think that hero areas are more important to me, but newbie areas I guess are necessary for bringing in and keeping people... although you'd be suprised how many dont even try.