Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   MUD and RPG Webmasters (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   New Dark Hope Webpage.  Tell me what you think. (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=822)

less than sacred 08-10-2003 07:53 PM

I'm redesigning the webpage for Dark Hope MUD and I'd like to get a few opinions about it if you have the time to take a look.
you can find the page at

Thanks

DSer 08-10-2003 09:23 PM

Ltriad 08-10-2003 10:14 PM

Your frame sizes should be corrected... certain ones are certainly too large for the amount of information/text/graphics in them and others are far too small to allow a person to navigate freely. IMHO, the lower left frame should just be on a seperate linked page altogether. My rule; keep frames to a min (i.e. max of 3).

My two cents,
Ltriad.

less than sacred 08-10-2003 11:19 PM

I appreciate the input. I would reset my frame sizes but I like seamless frames that aren't visible for the most part. If I adjust them I start getting slider bars that, to me, take away from the overall smoothness.

It's a rough draft and I still have a lot of work to do on it. But I think I outdid myself with the graphics I made.

Aeledius 08-11-2003 04:34 AM

In reply to a previous comment: You can adjust your frames and still keep a "seemless" look just make them NOSCROLL or SCROLLING = NO, can't remember off the top of my head which it is.  Its been a while since I've used straight HTML.  Secondly, in IE, it doesn't look seemless, you gotta turn off the frame borders, they look horrid.

Third, just a suggestion, but its a big difference between amateur and semi-professional pages: PRELOAD YOUR ROLLOVER IMAGES. That is, when I put my mouse over your nav links, I DON'T want to see it take 2 seconds the first time to change (waiting for the image download) and it be instantaneous the second and subsequent times (when the image is cached).

If you need any help with these, there are code snippets, examples, tutorials, etc all over the place on the net, but should you be lazy/non search friendly, feel free to contact me.

MSN:
AIM: Aeledius
Email:

P.S. That goes for anyone else too, I sincerely believe in giving back to the community that has helped me so much.

James Meyer
aka Aldyn creator and founder of Aeledius (currently down for redesign)

Kylotan 08-11-2003 09:09 AM

The logo frame is just way too big. Even at 1024x768, it squashes the main content frame so small as to make reading it painful. I would probably only have that logo on my front page anyway, settling for a smaller version above the menu on the left on all other pages. That would allow the entire right-hand side of the screen to scroll.

I would also prefer the style information to be in a separate style sheet but I suppose that's a religious issue. Not much need for all that 'style="color: rgb(204, 204, 204)' stuff everywhere, though.

less than sacred 08-11-2003 12:59 PM