Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advertising for Players (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   The Name Game (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2030)

Loremaster 01-02-2003 01:19 PM

I have a pet-peeve that I thought I would bring up in order to get feedback from mud admins so that perhaps I could understand.

Connecting to New Mud!

Choosing a name for your character is very important, choose something with a (fill in the blanks) theme.

By what name shall you be known?

I am biased towards RP muds, so I guess the name thing doesn't matter to H&S players (or does it? no idea)

Even on cookie-cutter muds, a name is a prized bit of individuality. I like to choose names that are appropriate to theme, RACE, Skillset/Guild/Occupation.

V'kroth may be suitable for an Orc or barbarian race, but not an Elven healer.

So, my peeve is all the muds that ask for a name before the new player is even aware of what races/skillsets etc are available.

I do not run a mud, so I am only guessing that the name is used to create an account/datafile to store stats, gender, and initial information.

Is it really so hard to employ some kind of system where a player can choose their name at the end of the process?

Im not trying to slam admins or coders, it just seems that this should not be all that difficult, and wondered why muds don't do this.

I cannot recall the name of the mud, but recently I logged into one to see what it was like and the creation process was truly excellent. It guided me with questions about what kind of character (fighter, mage, etc); it spoke of the different races with one line descriptions of their relative strengths/weaknesses and help for further race info; the best part to me was that NAME was the last question!

The creation process gave me a brief glimpse of the mud's character possibilities (and the creativity of the coders who put this process together) and a feel for my character so that I could give it an appropriate name.

Looking forward to some informative response.

Toranga Leela's boyfriend.

Santrilla 01-02-2003 02:19 PM

Loremaster 01-03-2003 12:53 PM

Santrilla 01-03-2003 01:02 PM

Heh, whatever floats your boat...

Personally it's never made much of a difference to me. If I'm multiplaying, or using a multitude of characters at different times on the same MUD, I like to keep a common theme (eg. Pantilla, Santrilla, Grantrilla, etc), just to feed my obsessive-compulsive disorder. But other than that, names don't make a lot of difference if you're a pure H&Ser.

Alajha 01-03-2003 04:17 PM

CSmith_Fan 01-03-2003 06:19 PM

jornel 01-04-2003 10:43 AM

You are correct in your assumption that on many muds the name is asked first because it is used as the name of the character file on the server which holds all the account details.

What is perhaps less widely known is that you can (again, on many muds) change your name prior to authorization.

On SMAUG muds you just type
 name potts
and your new name will become Potts

I imagine it is similar for ROM and Diku muds.

Realedazed 01-12-2003 03:00 PM

Most MUDs I try have a web site where they list races, class, etc. So I usually visit that before logging on to the game. That way I'm ready for character creation.