Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   From The Mind Of A Wander Nomad! (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=885)

TheDemonMaster 07-02-2004 05:06 PM

Hello, my name is Dellaryn... I have been a active Mudder since 1994, playing on such games as Snebo-Land, Angelfrost, Frozen Tears and Mordor. I was ontime a immortal on FT, AF, Mordor and Snebo. The reason i talk to you know is i believe muds are dying slowly and well i find it to be a shame. Also, the fact that people are throwing ROM's online and calling them highly modified when all they are is stock areas and code is really a giant problem. I come from a era of muds when you said Modified you meant it. Anyway you all wish to know more about me personally well then log into my site and see for yourself the address is: other than that, well there is not much more to write about.

erdos 07-02-2004 10:33 PM

You are absolutely right. People throw in some annoying color tokens, remove the hardcoded limits on how much exp a mob can give at once so they can make super plevelling, and make some new spells which are obviously renamed versions of copy-pasted fireball. And bang-- "Original codebase". The people it really hurts the most are those who genuinely DO have a unique codebase.

KaVir 07-03-2004 04:25 AM

People have been claiming that muds are dying for the last decade now, despite the fact that the number of muds has increased from a few hundred to a few thousand since that time. Back when I was mudding in 1994, most of the players were computing students - these days I encounter people from all walks of life.

WarHound 07-03-2004 01:54 PM

Howdy, DemonMaster...

Out of respect for the other posters we usually try to limit ourselves to one fresh post on the 'Most Recent Discussions' section of the main TMS page. You currently have three, two of which were posted all of seven minutes apart. This means that with three new topics you are taking up half of the slots there, bumping other people's posts off of the page.

I'm not trying to be a **** here, but please be considerate of other posters. You could easily have taken care of all three of these posts in one.

Thanks, and good luck on your mud.

Kenjar 07-03-2004 11:15 PM

I don't think MUDs are dying at all- maybe even growing.

And as for the bit about ROMs, I wholly agree. When I log into a 'heavily modified ROM' to see this-

Race:
Human (Sucks)
Elf (Ideal wizard)
Halfling (Ideal thief)
Giant (Ideal warrior)

Classes:
Fighter
Wizard
Thief
Cleric (Optional, but the Elf is always best at it)
Necromancer (Also Optional, Elf is best as well)

Sometimes they'll add in a giant assortment of other races, although the only differance is 1 or 2 stat points here and there. And then you log in and Mud School is to the north, and Midgaard (I've only seen 1 ROM ever rename it) to the down.