Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Advanced MUD Concepts (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   MSSP (Mud Server Status Protocol) (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5440)

scandum 03-15-2009 06:25 PM

MSSP (Mud Server Status Protocol)

A couple of weeks ago I posted a RFC on MudBytes regarding the creation of a protocol for Muds to automatically report their info to mud crawlers. Since then a lot has happened. I set up an official protocol specification and created a snippet that adds basic telnet handling for MCCP, MSSP, NAWS, and TTYPE. I also added MSSP support to TinTin++ so it can be used to debug server side MSSP support. So far four Muds (and one codebase) have implemented the protocol, the MudBytes crawler has added support for it and plans to integrate it into their mud directory, and both TMC and TMS have shown interest in adopting the protocol though they'll probably want to see it kick off first.

For a quick look at what MSSP entails see my output.

Feedback and comments are welcome, keep in mind that the protocol only defines a brief set of official variables, Mud listings can maintain a list of additional variables they support. If you implement MSSP and want to be added to the crawler give me a yell.

Links:

Client for debugging:
(Requires using '#config {debug telnet} on' to display MSSP output from a MUD server.)

Codebases supporing MSSP:
(As of version 4.4.0.)

MUD Crawlers supporing MSSP:

Discussion forum for MSSP (on MydBytes)

Server supporting MSSP:
azereth.game-host.org:6400
cruentus.genesismuds.com:7070
home.gotr00t.us:3000
slackhalla.org:4321

MSSP Snippets:
- Handles MCCP, MSSP, NAWS, and TTYPE.

Zhiroc 03-15-2009 08:54 PM

Re: MSSP (Mud Server Status Protocol)

Wouldn't it be better to allow the MUD to define what a player means? Given that multiple people may be playing behind NAT'ed firewalls, IPs may undercount drastically.

Come to think of it, my MUSH has a policy that no one is to know who may be multiplaying, so that may be problematical, as identifying how many players are on may give it away when the population is low.

scandum 03-15-2009 09:21 PM

If a MUD has a better way of reporting the actual player count I don't see a problem with that.

As you already said yourself, IPs may undercount drastically regardless of multi-playing, so one would never be sure.

If push comes to shove the mud can only allow MSSP requests from trusted IPs.

mtfox 03-16-2009 12:07 AM

Just a quick correction, azereth.game-host.org:6464 instead of port 6400

scandum 03-16-2009 11:04 AM

I accidentally used the website's port, it's fixed now.

Update: The NakedMud codebase will support MSSP as of version 3.8.

scandum 03-18-2009 12:29 AM

Two more muds added MSSP bringing the total to 6:

kingdomsofahln.com:7777
patrickmn.com:5000

Also updated the mssp crawler to make the crawler page look a bit neater.

locke 03-18-2009 04:20 PM

I'd include this functionality in NiMUD, how do you join the network?

scandum 03-18-2009 04:35 PM

Listings on MudBytes should automatically be crawled, though MudBytes is currently not doing anything with the data, and if someone gives me the host and port of a MSSP supporting Mud I'll manually add it to my crawler.

locke 03-18-2009 05:35 PM

Actually, I downloaded the MSSP snippet. I'm attempting to install it, but I wonder how to report to a crawler?

BTW, it complains about signedness several times, though some of these seem intentional. Here are my compilation warnings:

telopt.c: In function 'translate_telopts':
telopt.c:123: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
telopt.c:124: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
telopt.c:134: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
telopt.c: At top level:
telopt.c:447: warning: no previous prototype for 'send_will_mssp'
telopt.c:524: warning: no previous prototype for 'zlib_alloc'
telopt.c:530: warning: no previous prototype for 'zlib_free'
telopt.c: In function 'write_compressed':
telopt.c:618: warning: pointer targets in assignment differ in signedness
telopt.c: In function 'write_to_descriptor':
telopt.c:752: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 2 of 'debug_telopts' differ in signedness
telopt.c:756: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of 'recv_sb_mssp' differ in signedness
gcc -O -g -g3 -ggdb3 -DMALLOC_DEBUG -D_GNU_SOURCE -o nimud alias.o admin.o admin_edit.o admin_info.o bit.o board.o client.o combat.o config.o def.o door.o edit.o events.o load.o functions.o furn.o grammar.o graphics.o handler.o html.o disease.o interpreter.o language.o lists.o magic.o map.o mem.o money.o mount.o nanny.o net.o imc.o info.o move.o props.o parser.o save.o shop.o skills.o social.o string.o tips.o translate.o track.o update.o worldgen.o xrand.o mssp_client.o mssp_tables.o telopt.o -lcrypt -lz

locke 03-18-2009 05:36 PM

Scandum:

nimud.divineright.org 5333

I have not yet fully implemented it though. Is there a MUD I can meet you on to ask questions?

scandum 03-18-2009 07:55 PM

I'm not actively hanging out on any mud.

You can use tintin in telnet debugging mode for debugging, and look at the mth snippet as an example of a server side implementation.

I tested your mud but am getting the following response:

Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

locke 03-18-2009 08:44 PM

I did use mth. I am using files, renamed:
mud.h -> mssp.h
telnet.h -> telnet.h
telopt.c -> telopt.c
table.c -> mssp_table.c
client.c -> mssp_client.c

I am using your write_to_descriptor only for your code, since I use something called "write_to_connection"

I am using translate_telopts(), zlib, etc.

I added the content, verbatim, to DESCRIPTOR_DATA (called CONNECTION_DATA here):

msouttop
msoutbuf

these are not used at all actually.

Well, the preface to this is that NiMUD uses character mode, not line mode.

There has been a slight issue during login prior to this where it gets stuck waiting for something, and then a few code characters show up in the buffers from the remote client.

NiMUD simulates local echo by receiving characters from the remote host and then printing the characters that pass through a filter, discarding unwanted characters (sometimes telnet codes). This happens after the call to translate_telopts, however.

It seems what is happening now that I have inserted your translate_telopts() is that during the first few lines it at first is set the same way (or close to properly for character mode) and then after one line of text, something is switching it back into line mode. I'm trying to figure out where you are sending those codes inside the telopt.c client.c etc... but I have not yet found this issue. Ideally, it would properly manage character mode, then switch into line mode only if MSSP needs it, then return the connection to character mode.

The reason NiMUD does this is to interpret ansi keyboard codes like \x1b[C

Any ideas how to stop this from happening? It seems once you've logged out, and you log in the second time, something goes awry with the ability to hit return. Weird.

scandum 03-18-2009 10:55 PM

For starters, to push a telnet client into character mode you need to send:

IAC WILL SUPPRESS GA
IAC WILL ECHO

For MSSP you need to send on connect:

IAC WILL MSSP

The write_to_descriptor calls should be replaced with whatever function NiMUD uses, so that should probably be write_to_connection.

You won't need client.c which is just for debugging, and the same goes for mud.c.

The call to translate_telopts looks alright.

locke 03-18-2009 11:00 PM

Unfortunately I had to remove that line to translate_telopt() because the number it was returning was messing up my connection. Like I said when I logged back in something was awry the second time and I couldn't hit return. When I removed the translate_telopt line, this problem went way.

I will check into those codes for character mode, but I cannot find where IAC 0 0 is sent or where IAC 34 255 is sent. For now I've removed it until I can spend more time with it. The reason I chose yours is because I didn't know if it was cleaner or something.

When I used the SUPPRESS_GA code, it worked from telnet at a linux prompt but PuTTy still doesn't seem to realize this properly.

The write_* I have is:

scandum 03-18-2009 11:49 PM

Looks like write_to_connection does the same like write_to_descriptor does in merc, so it should be safe to use it.

You really wouldn't want to be using functions from mud.c since those are just dummies.

Not entirely sure what's going wrong and if it's related to mth. Other than a clean compile and adding some log calls to check what's going on I don't have any suggestions.

locke 03-19-2009 12:03 AM

I'm not sure either why it would lock up on <enter> What I mean by that is you can type but you can't hit return. My guess is that the number iStart is being set to is the problem. One other inconsistency was that I do not use a static size for the inbuf, which you did.

Also, the signedness issues bring in to question stability. I'd love to use this code and distribute it with my package, but until we can figure this out I haven't got a clue.

scandum 03-19-2009 12:20 AM

One thing is that mth strips out the \r character, that might be an issue? If your code checks for \r\n that would break it. So either remove the \r stripping, or change your code to only check for a \n. I'd do the latter since that's a lot easier.

locke 03-19-2009 01:07 AM

It checks for either with an || , why would that matter?

locke 03-19-2009 01:17 AM

Ok I am now sending these I believe.

Does this mean I call announce_support()? This is being done right after the above.

Done.

I cannot call translate_telopt(), and I am not using client.c's stuff either.

When you login to the mud, it writes a Y with two dots at the prompt in PuTTy. This problem existed before, I'm not sure why it was happening, but it apparently is still happening.

I'm using 3 for SUPPRESS_GA.

It seems to only work properly with linux telnet, but the random character appears differently as a ".

scandum 03-19-2009 09:52 AM

Seems to be sending out the requests now, but it's not answering.

Other muds haven't had any issues adding mth, so I guess you'll need to do some debugging and figure out what goes wrong.