Top Mud Sites Forum

Top Mud Sites Forum (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bugs and Suggestions (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bigots, Idiot Reviews, and Cheese Gone Bad... (http://www.topmudsites.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4080)

07-24-2004 12:03 PM

Oh that's vague.   Define harassing. ;-)

Jazuela 07-25-2004 06:36 PM

Valg 07-26-2004 12:02 PM

KaVir 07-26-2004 12:53 PM

You know, I was wondering why he'd started posting here again, after telling us all that he was no longer going to participate in these discussion forums...

Jedediah 07-26-2004 01:24 PM

Going back to the idea that muds are racist-- I don't think that's true at all, unless you're playing NaziMUD using the DiKKKu codebase.  Because you say elves have higher intelligence than trolls is not racist, it's simple fact, much in the same way you can say parrots are smarter than turkeys.  

Let's call them specist, instead.

Enola_Phoenix 07-26-2004 02:32 PM

Since this topic no longer applies to the title the author created it with, seeing as how the flame war began with the_logos give the guy a break if it weren't for him and Kavir how interesting would these things be? More informative yes, interesting not really.... With that said with no point and really no meaning I will go twiddle my thumb and continue to see what hilarously funny stuff comes out next.

the_logos 07-26-2004 05:58 PM

No, there are not many. Unlike here where there ARE many posts, but they're largely noise. I mean, I learned more from one of Bartle's posts on Mind's Eye than I ever have here, despite the much-more-frequent postings here.

Do I feel qualified to comment on how to run a site like Topmudsites? Yes, though it's got nothing to do with Mind's Eye. Remember that TMS and Mind's Eye have explicitly different purposes. TMS exists for...well, I'm not quite sure. Probably some pocket money for Synozeer along with a general good feeling he gets for running a site that's well-respected by mudders. Mind's Eye is explicitly non-commercial and was put together to allow people with actual successful experience to share that experience with each other. Unfortunately, there aren't that many text mud people with actual successful experience and there are a lot of concerns that commercial muds have that non-commercial ones don't.

What I'd love to see is for Topmudsites to improve the signal to noise ratio where it was similar to Mind's Eye, but with more participants and more traffic. I'm not sure if it's possible. Perhaps we will just open Mind's Eye to more people but simply ban all flaming or ad hominem attacks (*ahem*) and all advertisements so as not to compete with the content here or at Mudconnector.

--matt

the_logos 07-26-2004 06:20 PM

How about when you say wood elves have a lower intelligence than high elves? Sounds to me like saying Caucasian humans have a lower intelligence than Asian humans.

--matt

John 07-26-2004 09:00 PM

Kenjar 07-26-2004 11:12 PM

I think horrible reviews should stay up. Why? Well, reviews are supposed to influence your choice in whether or not to play a mud. So if a mud has a whole slew of reviews that you think are terrible, that tells you that the playerbase are not a bunch of people you'd want to spend any amount of time with. There ya go. They did their job by influencing your choice.

Jedediah 07-27-2004 01:21 AM

shadowfyr 07-28-2004 04:18 PM

Personally, I tend to prefer systems that may impose some preset limits on the 'individual', over ones with different attributes based on other factors, like species. However, there are often good reasons for it in high fantasy settings, where there are definite and obvious differences. But this brings up the comment I think I read in Dragon or some place, "The players are the heroes, not just the normal population. It should be expected that they don't quite fit the 'norm' for their race." It is a complicated issue and on the mud where I play it is so slipshod that quite a few races are almost totally useless, since their attributes make them incapable of doing well in every guild in the game. I suspect, due to the way the combat and other systems work, and the lack of alternative methods to really advance, that they would never do well in 'any' guild. But yeah, keep the RL stuff out of the game.

The stuff 'in game' needs to be based on in game issues, like people going around killing innocent foxes... (inside joke)

P.S. Thought I smelled a Troll on these forums Gemini.
-Kagehi Kossori grins at you.

Cyre 07-29-2004 12:12 AM

As true as this is, one can only do so much while maintaining any form of consistency throughout all of the systems in a game. If you allow players to just define their strengths and weaknesses at will, the majority will just min/max their way to greatness. It isn't very exciting when all of the PC trolls of the world are suddenly leaps and bounds more intelligent than the NPC trolls because a high intelligence for a troll makes for a tanky mage. People will metagame any system they can, and this has to be taken into account when designing how racial characteristics are ascribed. Certainly some degree of variation from the behavior of NPC's of the same race is to be expected, and desired of course, but this should be handled through roleplay moreso than through code support, as it quite simply makes balancing issues almost impossible to deal with, as evinced by your comment about the various useless races on the realm you frequent.

Cyre 07-29-2004 12:13 AM

As true as this is, one can only do so much while maintaining any form of consistency throughout all of the systems in a game. If you allow players to just define their strengths and weaknesses at will, the majority will just min/max their way to greatness. It isn't very exciting when all of the PC trolls of the world are suddenly leaps and bounds more intelligent than the NPC trolls because a high intelligence for a troll makes for a tanky mage. People will metagame any system they can, and this has to be taken into account when designing how racial characteristics are ascribed. Certainly some degree of variation from the behavior of NPC's of the same race is to be expected, and desired of course, but this should be handled through roleplay moreso than through code support, as it quite simply makes balancing issues almost impossible to deal with, as evinced by your comment about the various useless races on the realm you frequent.

~Cyre

Kenjar 08-18-2004 11:43 PM

I have brought this up before, and I don't know if you're still talking about reviews, but I say that in certain cases a horrible review should stay. If, for example, a MUD had a slew of terribly written reviews "OMG, liek, u will LUV THIS GAME OMG!" then dosen't that give you a good idea of the people that are in that game.

That, combined with one of the other Runescape reviews (There are three- two are quite bad) would give me a good idea of what i'd find in Runescape. And I would be right- anyone who has played that trash heap (Getting a bit off topic, ahem) knows. If a game has a ton of bad reviews but the owner really thinks they are unwarrented, they can be removed. (If the owner is mature enough to ask them to be removed in a calm manor, that's all the convincing i'd need to help 'em out)

-Kenjar, he of the unpopular opinion.