View Single Post
Old 04-02-2006, 10:58 AM   #29
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
This whole concept of "he's obviously biased therefore he can't moderate" is a bone of contention for me.

Outside the internet, you all have your own distinct personality, with opinions and vocabulary and habits and twitches. But you adjust all of this stuff in the company of certain other people, no?

Do you booze up with your co-workers at work? Do you get jiggy with your third cousin on top of the family reunion picnic table? Do you light up a smoke in the non-smoking section of the restaurant? Do you walk down the street buck-naked on a hot summer afternoon?

Just because we are "this way" in "this circumstance" doesn't mean we automatically behave the same way in "that circumstance."

When I was a player of a mud, I behaved one way, my way, the way that was natural to me. But when I became a staff member, I was all business, in a "customer service oriented" kind of way. Most of the time, I'm a staunch supporter of "stupid people suck" political party. But when I am given responsibility to oversee "stupid people" I become the gracious hostess.

Just because I have an opinion of something, doesn't mean I'm incapable of behaving contrary to that opinion when given the responsibility to do so. And I feel Matt, and the other moderators, have the intelligence and sensitivity required to do the same. Matt is certainly biased, and has his own personal agenda. But when he "puts on his moderator hat" he is a moderator, not "just another loud-mouthed forum member." I think he does a decent job of it.