Thread: Why so bitter?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 08:20 AM   #50
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
Like most sweeping statements, this one was pretty dumb.

I think most of us are smart enough to realise that quantity doesn’t necessarily equal quality. This has been said before, but allow me to repeat it:

What the TopMuds list mirrors is 2 things:
1. How large the playerbase of a certain Mud is
2. How far the Admins in a certain Mud are prepared to go in hustling their players to vote

Personally I made a choice long ago, NOT to hassle my players about it. We left the vote buttons on the WebPage, but totally stopped reminding the players on-line to go and click them.

While this certainly lead to a drop of about 20 positions on the list, it didn’t lead to a corresponding drop in our playerbase. From this I draw the conclusion that the position on the list is of very small interest, unless you are in the Top 20. I also suspect that most players PREFER not being disturbed in their gameplay by constant nudging and reminders to go vote.

Try to have a little fate in your game and your players. Mudders are usually extremely loyal to their home Mud. If your game is any good, they are not likely to wander off, especially not to a place where they need to pay for their mudding. In fact the opposite is much more likely to happen. I tend to agree with Melissa, or whoever it was at the beginning of this thread, who stated that P2P muds probably yield more players to the list than they gain from it.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote