Thread: Why so bitter?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 11:42 AM   #53
Sidmouth

Sidmouth is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Sidmouth
P2P owners are being victimized to a certain extent because mud owners are, by and large, of the same mindset as are people on say, slashdot.  Because their hobby has been free for quite some time, and because many of the most important people in the world of mudding provided their game/codebases/expertise for free, the mud community tends to dislike the idea that some people are making money off this hobby.  That should surprise no one.

The relevance of this is that when we are talking about the mud community, and the community that these boards are trying to create, there is obviously a natural bias against p2p.  I have that bias, which isn't to say I think p2p muds are evil, I just faintly dislike the introduction of money into one of my favored hobbies.

As many have pointed out, this is not "topfreemudsites".  Perhaps this debate however, would be more constructive if it were over the question of whether or not this *should* be something like topfreemudsites.  If this community is largely composed of free mudders and they find that the top 20 list represents them not at all, then they should speak out, as Orion has.  Of course, topmudsites is not a democracy, and this is all Synozeer's realm, but it doesn't hurt to debate.

I'm not advocating kicking p2p off the list entirely, but I would be strongly in favor of putting a dollar sign next to p2p mud's names in the ranking list.  This is a very small gesture that would be fairly significant to many free mud owners, I think.

America is an imperialist power run by hawkish dimwits bent on world domination.  The current president is largely driven by an oedipal complex that spurs him to try to best his father by revisiting George Senior's policies and attempting to one up them.

I hope that elevates the discussion a little in your eyes.

-Sidmouth

[EDIT] Wording and clarification.
Sidmouth is offline   Reply With Quote