Thread: Why so bitter?
View Single Post
Old 01-22-2003, 07:26 PM   #41
Kitsune

Kitsune is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

It was a few months back.  I spent an hour or so last night trying to find the exact thread.  Granted, I'm not as "fly through the forums to find a lost thread capable" as some folk.  It started when I posted a poll that was running alongside the "P2P are evil" thread that was developing asking folks how they would prefer P2P mud's be listed on the ranking page (not the Features page).  Dulan made a crack/observation about many of the options weren't relevant or somesuch, focusing on 'leave the place to the cockroaches' joke option.   If someone remembers the thread and has better luck finding it, more power to 'em.

I think how it progressed was OE and I going round-robin for a few pages with some occassional shots being tossed in by Dulan and others.  How it concluded I can't say I recall, as the last two weeks of my finals interrupted my following of the debate.  I think I also felt I was arguing with a brick wall and forced myself to stop.

In my mind I think it concluded for me in deciding that everyone has different opinions, some people can't look past their own for the betterment of design purposes, and that I should probably focus my time on my schoolwork.  What probably happened was that I got a few flames after my last post and then it died.  

Personally, I don't play a P2P Mud.  But I'm not a hater and don't see any reason why they should be made to post it on the rankings page if they already identify themselves as such in Features.  It takes an extra few seconds to just check the Features page to find out more about the mud - or their web site.  Now looking beyond my OWN opinion if you are going to make an $ icon on the rankings page for P2P muds, for DESIGN PURPOSES why not have icons depicting several other preferences players might have (RP/PK ratio, code base, genre type).  I know I'd be upset  if I tried a listing that said it was heavy rp oriented in its ranking description only to find out it was a "rp to justify pk" mud.  It would probably upset me more than finding out it was P2P.  But I wouldn't demand them put an icon about it in the rankings page.  if folk are going to panic about one thing, why not cover all the basics?

Anyway, Yui, hope this clears up any 'enlighten'ment issues.  I meant no offense.  I just think there is too much P2P hate going on.   The more hate amongst 'the community', the less I could see valuable discussions occuring in the Forums.  I mean, I wouldn't want to discuss Game Design or Role-Play enhancements with a bunch of folk who hated me.  And there are a few very vocal, closed-minded people out there.

Peas.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote