Thread: Why so bitter?
View Single Post
Old 01-23-2003, 02:36 AM   #45
PinkFloyd

PinkFloyd is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Reading this thread and noticing the little flagrant war going on between Orion Elder and Threshold, I decided to bring an unbiased and unobstructed view to the whole mess and see if anything can get sorted out. Is Threshold RPG misrepresenting itself by not advertising as a P2P MUD?
Orion elder said:
Orion Elder, if you had just taken the 5 simple seconds and checked out Threshold's information listing yourself, you would have noticed that Threshold RPG does mention itself as a Pay-per-Play MUD. Lying, Orion Elder, weakens your argument greatly. Furthermore, personal attacks might sharpen your ego, but if you think they make your argument stronger, then you are dead wrong. Calling Threshold stupid was certainly uncalled for. Just shows how bitter you really are.

As for Threshold's reply, there were no lies he stated in his responses. The only problem I had with Threshold RPG was this. I'll quote this from Threshold.

I decided to go through the character creation process to see if this was true. Threshold was true to his word on the first case. Before a person can finish the character creation mode and start the game, one the files that they must read is the help register file. I would post the file here, but I would need permission from Threshold; however, the file in there is very specific that Threshold is pay-per-play and highlights something very important. Namely that if people do not register money to a game they don't enjoy, and if that's the case with Threshold, then they should not. Orion Elder, if you are so concerned about deceitful practices Threshold might be playing, then I certainly think you should log into Threshold and read it for yourself.

The only problem I had with Threshold was in the second example he stated in the quote. The website mentioned about registration does mention the requirement of registration, however when a person goes to the Threshold Home Page, there is no link to the registration page from there. I think it would be helpful if there was a link to the registration page from the Threshold Home Page ().

Orion Elder, please quit your bickering. One lesson I learned when I immigrated here was that "there is no such thing as a free lunch". That applies to the situation with the free MUDs vs. pay-per-play MUDs. Most pay-per-play MUDs mention in their information pages that they are such. Furthermore, your argument that Pay-per-play MUD's should not use the ranking list as a means of advertisement is certainly ridiculous. If the opportunity is there and it does not cost you a dime why not take up on it? Most businesses out there certainly would, be they non-profit or profit. Furthermore, if you are furious that the top MUDs on the ranking list are pay-per-play MUDs, then that should tell you something about them. Namely that most of them out there are better overall than the free MUDs.

Orion Elder, while your ideas are certainly noble and well-meaning, they are just out of touch with reality. I hope you realize that.

End of rant.

An Unbiased Forum Poster.
PinkFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote