Thread: [Flames]
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2003, 02:16 AM   #62
malaclypse

malaclypse is on a distinguished road
I'm not denying that the overall human rights record in the Middle East is atrocious. I'm saying that their human rights record does not justify the US governments aggressive policies.

I'll say -again- that Saddam Husseins worst offenses occured while we were allies with him, under the Bush Sr. Administration. The gassing of the kurds occured mostly in the late 80's. We were supplying them weapons at that point in time. We turned a blind eye to the atrocity. We didn't attack Iraq the first time until he went against our wishes in 1991 when invading Kuwait... which I believe also happens to be a major base for the US military in the middle east. But thats just coincidence, right? It was for "Human rights".

I never mentioned anarchy, and I'm not an anarchist in any sense of the word.

Regarding the WTO: Thats exactly what I'm saying! Its an economic empire. International treaties pushed by the WTO require foreign governments to open their water, utility, and agriculture industries to US based multinational corporations, and they're lured by needed financial relief from the World Bank.

Ok, maybe you're not racist. Maybe you just don't understand that a law is stupid when it requires that vital and helpful members of our society be deported. I live in california, so I've seen personally what type of situation illegal immigrants are in. They use virtually no social services, because they have no documentation, and they contribute long hours doing labor that noone wants to do for a fraction of what is the legal minimum wage. Because of this, California's agriculture business has become dependent on them.

The situation there is that Israel is occupying Palestine. Now you could say that Palestine is attacking Israel and Israel is just responding just as easily as you could say the opposite: Palestine is merely reacting to Israeli aggression. But clearly the point is that before the violence will stop, Israel will have to pull their army out of Palestine, and stop occupying and settling on large portions of their land (regardless of the morality of originally displacing them to form Israel).

As far as Arafat supporting the suicide bombers, it could be debated on end because noone really knows for sure. My take on it is that he doesn't make concerted efforts to stop it only because he lacks the resources. It seems like it would be in his best interest to be able to stop the suicide bombers, because then he might be able to establish a true government, and subsequently a real army under his command, rather than islamic extremists.

- Ryan
malaclypse is offline   Reply With Quote