View Single Post
Old 08-04-2002, 01:15 PM   #8
Robbert

Robbert is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Robbert Send a message via AIM to Robbert
I disagree. Windows is nothing more than a gaming platform, if you look at it objectively. Koffice and Staroffice can replicate the inherent utility of MS Office, Mozilla 1.x offers more functionality than MSIE, GAIM 0.5x is more versatile than trillian or any other messaging system on Windows. X and KDE provide more features than any windows system ever did, once one learns the interface, and Gnome is much stabler and more customizable than windows. Enlightenment, FVWM and other window managers all mix customization seamlessly with their own metaphorical intefaces. XMMS provides the same features, with better resolution than winamp ever has, and XINE and the libdvdcss system allows for DVD playback at a better rate than windows software or hardware based solutions do.

Wine replicates the inherent utility of the windows DLL's, but is difficult for Joe Average to configure, and does not provide the same functionality as a true windows platform.

Programming in windows involves either using windows specific platforms or an inordinate amount of work to make the program function properly, and is not cross-platform testable. Programming in Linux is intuitive, native, and simple. Compilers for Fortran, C, C++, Java, GTK, and more are standard includes with all distributions.

Playing games in windows requires unique settings, special drivers, possibly specially configured boot options, and a plethora of other initialization settings.

Playing the available games in linux is simple, so long as you have an understanding of the way linux operates.

I have windows on one of the computers in my house. Win 98. It lasts about 4 days tops before it crashes, even with no activity on it.

The machine from which I'm writing this is my laptop, and has been online for 99 days. I have moved it from the house to my network at work, and restarted the network configuration there without rebooting. It has remained through two power outages, and still is running strong.

My wife's desktop has run for 8 days now, after losing power for longer than the UPS can hold the system up.

We use Linux for its inherent utility and stability.

When we want to play games, we use the windows machine.

When we want to do some serious work, we use linux. Because that's what it's made for.
Robbert is offline   Reply With Quote