View Single Post
Old 02-15-2003, 05:53 PM   #15
Steel

Steel is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Steel
Reasons I like text muds more than graphical muds:

1. You can do more stuff, and the GMs dont' have to program every sprite to do X for every new ability that comes out.

2. Definitly the book thing. The human imagination supports much more than 32bit color, thus creating a fantasy world with graphics is almost like ripping yourself off.

3. Ease. It's MUCH easier to do things in a text MUD than a graphics game. In graphics games you have to click on stuff and memorize hotkeys and stuff like that, unless they have a command prompt, then it might as well be text.

4. You know people. I don't know how, but you just get to know people better in text muds. Possibly because you see a name first, then you can look at the character for a description, instead of "Hey...that green mass of pixels over there. Is that XXXXX or one of the other 3000 green people?"

5. Creativity. Again, like #1, you can make things that would be impossible to create graphics for.

6. Creation ease. Not having to deal with graphics means GMS can get stuff out faster.

7. There's no way to do text badly, and even if you do, you can just find/edit. I've seen hideous graphics in games before, and i'm sure those are a lot harder to fix.

I'll think of more, I'm sure.
Steel is offline   Reply With Quote