View Single Post
Old 02-19-2004, 08:19 AM   #10
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Hey there, Dub. I'm going to address a couple of points you've made, but not all.

Re: the whole thing about how MMORPGs are stealing mudders - they're not. They're taking people who prefer graphics over text. Text-based entertainment is a niche market, and will always have its staunch supporters who have no interest whatsoever in graphical venues. Text games as a whole aren't going anywhere. As long as there exist people who like to read books more than they like to watch TV, there will be text muds. The day the last text-based mud in the world disappears is the day I start reading -more- books than I already do. I will never play graphics games. I just plain don't like them.

Re: your concerns with RP-encouraged games -
I realize you are not referring to RP-intensive or RP-required or RP-enforced (whatever the catch-phrase of the day happens to be). But in an RP-encouraged game, there exist people who WANT to roleplay, albeit in a more relaxed atmosphere than an RPI.

Imagine the person who -wants- to roleplay - coming across your botting character. Imagine perhaps that this is me and you. Imagine that we have had run-ins in the past, that we are adversaries. Imagine me trying to start something with your character. Imagine your character doing nothing about it - because you're watching a movie on TV in the other room. Imagine my disappointment when I realize that the only thing I can do is PK your character with no RP at all, or pretend your character isn't there and move on to something else. Imagine me trying to move on to something else, and running into 10 out of the 25 people playing who are -also- botting. Imagine how little fun I'm going to have, all because I actually decide that day that I'm in the mood to RP in an RP-encouraged game.

This is why games have no AFK rules. Some rules are less strict than others; Gemstone has a rule that says you can be AFK all you like, as long as you're not absorbing experience or scripting to gain new experience at the time. For an RP-allowed (I won't even go as far as to say it's encouraged because it isn't) game, I think that's a very fair rule.

All rules can be broken, all can be bent, all can be worked around, and all can be abused. It's just the nature of rules in general. Perhaps instead of "demanding" strict criteria in your search, you might ease up slightly and allow for exceptions. There are dozens of games that -almost- fit what you're looking for, though within each game there might be a player or two who breaks the rules and you -will- at some point run into them. Or perhaps the game breaks -your- rules only marginally, a shade of grey that most people wouldn't even notice.

For what it's worth, those are my thoughts and opinions on the points I wanted to discuss. I wish you luck in your search.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote