View Single Post
Old 04-30-2006, 12:10 PM   #57
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
KaVir, I've always wondered this: Where did you get your law degree?

You speak in absolute terms as if you have perfect, absolute knowledge of the law and how a case such as this would be ruled upon. Since you do that, you must have formal legal training, right?

Otherwise, you'd just be giving your UNTRAINED OPINION of the law, and therefore should stop declaring in such absolute terms what is right, what is the law, and how things would be decided.

Furthermore, I hope you realize that there is a reason for law schools, bar exams, clerkships, and apprenticing (sometimes known as associate work). The law is more complex than an untrained layman can possibly understand and interpret with any degree of certainty or reliability. In fact, (sad as it may be) lawyers (who happen to be the ones who write the laws as judges, politicians, or legislative assistants to politicians) deliberately craft the law so as to guarantee the importance of their own profession. You would do well to remember that and stop declaring things as if you know them to be absolutely true.

I actually have a law degree and worked as a lawyer for a short time (before I realized I hated it). Even with that formal training and work experience, I am still aware that IP is one of the more complicated areas of law and would not feel comfortable making declarations as absolute as yours.

I'm not saying you are wrong, but the degree of absolute certainty you claim to have is utterly absurd and ridiculous.
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote