View Single Post
Old 04-29-2006, 11:37 PM   #39
Lark

Lark is on a distinguished road
Well, everything aside (I refuse to set foot in that legal jungle), I think the attitude is what's turning me off to claims against Medievia.

I don't know if it's just the way text looks when you make an insult, but when I first got wind of this Medievia thing I felt like I was walking into a room full of people calling a woman 'slut' to her face.

I guess I'm just a layman, but it just seems like they've put an awful lot of work into it to call them thieves. Medievia, the game and concept, is something they did themselves. The Diku driver was just the motor the kept it running. And now, they say, they've constructed it to the point where even that's been replaced by something of their own design.

I'd understand better if using Diku meant that they'd just attached a price tag to a free, pre-assembled mud with content out-of-the-box, but the driver's just a tool to achieve an end with, not the end in itself. If I use a hammer and chisel to make a statue, do I owe someone for their use? Should I have to figure out a new way every time, and make sure the next does it, too?

Especially, in this case, for a mud driver, of all things. I sincerely doubt anyone's become a millionaire in muds, even the feared and notorious Matt. I still have a hard time believing that a commercial mud would break even, to be honest.

(On a side note, I don't know if any of our pay-mud administrators would care to volunteer information about their own lifestyles/financial situation, but it might ease people's minds. I'm curious myself. PM me to be interviewed for Lifestyles of the Blind and Sleepless.)

The only real bone I'd have to pick with Medievia, if I in fact thought it was my business to, would be in whatever credit they may owe these DIKU boys from Medievia's earlier history. Aside from that, though, to me the rest is just business and legal junk.
Lark is offline   Reply With Quote