View Single Post
Old 08-01-2006, 06:19 PM   #49
Rathik

Rathik is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Rathik
I've never played Medievia, but to me it seems very obvious what makes Medievia successful. First off, they advertise intelligently-- that is, by getting fresh new players who have never mudded previously. These players have absolutely no preferences when it comes to muds...they make those after they've been playing for a month or so. Hardly any of these new mudders will say "these colors are blinding!" or "only 4 classes??" Medievia has a seemingly desperate set up to encourage their existing players to spread the word to anyone they know, via word of mouth, flyers, business cards, reviews, voting, forums, etc. They even provide tips on sharing Medievia and they will provide the flyers and business cards. So.....do any of your muds do that? Probably not.

Second, from what I read on this topic and their website, they are newbie friendly. Of course. They attract newbies, so they have a website that is helpful to new mudders. I have not tried Medievia, but I am willing to bet that they have a very good helping/mud school system (called avatars I think?) They also have a detailed step-by-step guide on their website on how to get started, something that many, many mud websites lack. It also doesn't hurt to have a pretty simple setup (no races, 4 classes, automated combat, I believe...) I wouldn't be surprised if well over 50% of new mudders actually stick around.

Third, and just important as the first two items, from what I gather, they seem to be constantly working on the game and bringing in new features (new to Medievia at least.) I think some of the more "high quality" muds don't realize that they need to be constantly improving their mud-- otherwise it is like reading the same book over and over, and you can quickly get bored of it.

Also, I noticed that although they have a link to leave a review on TMS, they don't have a voting link. Whether this is intentional or they were banned, I don't know, but it seems like a good idea to keep their players in the dark about the DIKU license stuff since voting brings players to this site and there is a fair amount of Medievia bashing always going on.

While there's no doubt in my mind that Medievia is not nearly as advanced, high quality, or original as most other established muds, it doesn't matter to them. They know how to get players and most of you don't.

I am curious about one thing though...is Medievia considered a commercial mud?
Rathik is offline   Reply With Quote