View Single Post
Old 09-23-2002, 11:07 PM   #131
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
In the loosest definition of community, that is, a group of people who share a common interest, there is a MUD community. However, I did include 'meaningful community' for a reason. Humanity as a whole is also a community, insofar as nearly everyone shares (or at least professes to share), an interest in continuing to live. So what? Where you draw y our 'community' line is pretty arbitrary. You could decide your community-of-concern is humanity, a country, people who play MUDs, people with blue skin, the population of a specific MUD, only your close friends, etc. You may live in multiple communities, but no one concerns themselves with all of them individually. I like hiking, for example, but don't give a damn about any community of hikers that may exist. I just want to go out, and hike.

Myself, I care about communities that I have an active interest and participation in. For instance, I care very much about Achaea's community, because I'm a part of it. I care about the community of Achaean Gods, because we're friends and I'm a very active part of it. I care about the community of the mailing list mud-dev, because I'm an active member of it, am friends with a number of the other posters, and have been in it a long time.

On the other hand, in my attempt to join this community, I broke no rules. We simply attained the #1 spot by driving more traffic to the site, and this the fact that we did it in a more organized way than others had before sparked what looks to me like just a massive case of sour grapes. (When you should be thinking, "How can I grab some of his players that are dissatisfied with his game?") The next thing I see is a bunch of MUDs being attacked, including mine. The first post I make, describing our plans for our housing system, was summarily moved to some other board, and accused of being posted for the purpose of advertising (as if advertising to the couple hundred people who may have read the post is worth the time it takes to write the post.) Real nice way to welcome people to a community.

As for hurting the community, I fail to see how. I'm the one being attacked, not vice-versa. I throw a jab back now and then, but frankly, I've shown a lot of restraint given the absolute crap being posted by certain members of the community.

Communities thrive on disparity of viewpoints, not patting each other on the back and telling each other the same thing just because that's the majority viewpoint. A criminal is someone who breaks a law. The 'laws' of the rankings are clearly posted.

As for my character, the fact that multiple people on the list see fit to attack me personally says volumes about their character, if you ask me. I hope, and suspect, that it's not indicative of the nature of the community generally, because I'll tell you, this is one mean-spirited community if it is.

--matt