View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 02:46 AM   #23
Nekekami

Home MUD: SW: Dawn of a New Age
Home MUD: SW: Shattered Equinox
Nekekami is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Nekekami
Excellent idea Shane, I was just browsing the internet the other day looking for a similar listing. The andreasen/newmud listing was good but not updated regularly enough and didn't contain that much detail. Sourceforge was also another good listing but again, didn't contain all MUD projects. Perhaps its about time we got something set up? A central repository for new MUD projects that players could browse to view the progress, news and features of new MUD codebases. Something similar to that provides project listing, help for new developers and support for existing MUD engines.

Enough rambling, here you go:

Name: MUDCore
Function: Scratch built C++ MUD engine by Tarmon's Gary McNickle. Provides socket handling, account system, player system and basic area structure. Aimed at providing a starting point for new MUD developers.
Pros: Extremely well written, documented and commented, Easy to extend and work with.
Cons: May not be used commercially without permission of the author, Not actively supported (trying to change this), Windows environment (needs porting).
License: GPL
Comments: MUDCore is IMHO one of the best starting points for MUD development available. I have yet to see another codebase that provides such a great example of good Software Engineering practices (Commenting, Structure, Documentation, Programming Standards). The codebase is highly dynamic which makes it easy to carry out additions such as adding races, skills, etc. The Codebase was withdrawn from the world due to a lack of Interest, however, I am trying to speak to Gary about getting it re-released and supported.

And my work based on the MUDCore Engine:

Name: AMC
Function: MUDCore based attempt at refreshing space MUDs. Aimed and providing a highly realistic, detailed yet balanced gameplay. A Team project open to the entire MUDing community's input.
Pros: Professional Games Design, Realistic Space Engine, Advanced AI and logical scripting, Inherits and maintains MUDcore's ease of extension and good Software Engineering.
Cons: Still in developmnet, May not be used commercially without Gary's written consent, Windows only.
License: GPL
Comments: I can't evaluate my own work, but i will provide you with some of the goals of the project:
+ Highly dynamic and maintainable MUD codebase
+ Represent a True3D Spatial Environment
+ Provide advanced AI handling
+ Implement a rich, detailed and balanced Player System
+ Utilising an advanced combat system
+ Highly dynamic and maintainable MUD codebase

The website provides more details, its basically using MUDCore to produce a Space based engine.

Hope some of this helps,

-Owen
Nekekami is offline   Reply With Quote