View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 AM   #345
Threshold
Legend

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Threshold will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

I guess I should not be surprised that this argument is still going, but somehow I am. I see we are still arguing about the countless different meanings of vague phrases like "rewarded in game" or "results in game." Both phrases are equally vague and in the long run, worthless, ambiguous flame fodder. Occasionally someone hilariously suggests the terms are NOT vague, despite the hundreds of posts preceding theirs with examples going in every direction possible.

But I honestly thought the whole idea was invalidated for good when Valg admitted his purely personal motive that has little to do with "educating players":

That admission right there pretty much killed the whole idea. I said all along I thought there was a personal motive behind this, and that some admins were hoping to change the system to benefit their mud at the expense of others. I was roundly criticized for making such a "ridiculous" claim. Turns out it wasn't so ridiculous after all. Valg got a little carried away and spilled the beans. Or maybe he just got tired of dancing around the issue and pretending.

So aside from the fact that every proposed set of options beyond takes money/doesn't take money is hopelessly vague, isn't it time the whole ugly argument finally died?

I mean, now that we know the whole movement was about gaining personal advantage over other muds and not about informing players, isn't it just done?
Threshold is offline   Reply With Quote