View Single Post
Old 03-17-2003, 06:04 PM   #17
angelbob

angelbob is on a distinguished road
angelbob:
Yui:
Roughly, yes. For instance: I believe that goto's existence in C is an artifact of when the language was designed, and that we'd all be happier without it. Do you believe that goto-less languages should all add it since somebody might use it well at some point?

Yui:
I wasn't suggesting that C++ should do it, just that MUD inheritance in "physical" MUD objects is almost always data inheritance, and only more rarely code inheritance. Thus, I was suggesting that C++'s language support for code inheritance wasn't any great shakes for the MUD environment specifically. There was a point much earlier that a previous poster made claiming that inheritance was very well suited to the MUD environment.

So I'm saying: here's what the MUD environment seems to particularly call for. I don't feel it's a good match for C++'s inheritance. I feel that C++'s inheritance is not a good match for this specific problem.

Clear?

And incidentally, yes, you *can* add language support for it, but the only languages where that would be appropriate are languages for pretty specific applications. MUD scripting languages, for instance.

angelbob:
Yui:
You can't overload the operator in C, no. We still disagree about whether operator overloading is a good thing (surprise, surprise). You can call a function to get the same result, though.

Yui:
True. Most of the performance points I brought up are minor details.

Compilers I've used that don't support "standard" template instantiation: g++ on Linux, SGI's C++ compiler on SGIs, HP's C++ compiler on HP/UX, Sun's C++ compiler on SunOS4 and Solaris. Time during which they haven't supported this: each within the last 5 years. Perhaps they've all been fully fixed since then to fully support it. Would you put money on that? I wouldn't, especially since template specs are actually a *lot* older than 5 years.

Compilers I've used that support namespaces, also a long-standing standard, fully and completely: Um... VC++, maybe? I know there are bugs, but mostly, I think. That haven't: Metrowerks (didn't test templates so I didn't list it above), G++ (fixed now?), SGI C++ compiler, HP C++ compiler, SunOS4 C++ compiler. Didn't test Solaris.

Do you know how long it took them to come up with a "standard" Ada compiler after the language was spec'd? Green Hills makes about the only one in existence, and they certainly aren't the only people who've tried, or the only people that want the Department of Defense contracts involved. Standardizing doesn't make it so.

Yui:
Actually, I don't much care about the performance issue, though it certainly looks significant compared to normal function call overhead. I care about the questionable semantics C++ has for most of this stuff, and the fact that it was bolted on poorly as an afterthought.

I'm aware that they're slow to use, but mainly I'm bothered by the fact that they're *hard* to use, at least correctly and without ugly corner cases.

Yui:
The difference is that there are operations which are named incorrectly, and there are operations that are impossible to name correctly. Multiplication can be named incorrectly -- you can name something you need to do with a name that means something else -- by calling inner produce "*" for instance. But then, if you need to do inner product and you don't call it "*", what do you call it? There IS NO correct operator name.

You could make it a function call instead. But then what happened to all your arguments that operator overloading is better than function calls for that kind of thing?

Yui:
But unfortunately, the symbols you have to work with all have defined meanings in other domains, and in *common* other domains. Function names are usually chosen to avoid other common meanings, and because text is very expressive it's reasonable to avoid most other common meanings. If you choose function names arbitrarily ("I call this operation frobzorgle") then it's not very helpful. But if you call it something misleading ("I choose to call my inner product function 'addition'") it's even worse. Like your factorial example above.

If you overload an operator like bit-shift that has a defined meaning in a related domain, you're being worse than arbitrary. You're being specifically misleading.

Or to put it another way:

cout << "Half the sum is " << sum << 2 << " or at least I hope so.\n";

Can you fix this with parens? Sure. But you're being confusing. The operator is bit-shift and text output in the same expression regardless of how many parentheses you add to it. It's the same problem as using + for string concatenation -- it's inherently confusing when stuck next to + for integer arithmetic. So choosing one of a number of existing symbols with existing meanings (like operators) rather than a richer vocabulary (like words, used for function names) is guaranteeing that you have a lot of unrelated baggage attached to any name you give an operation unless that operation already matches the symbol you're using. As you point out, there is no symbol that matches cin/cout -- they could have used xor (^) or function call with dereference (->) or any of many other operators -- and those would have been confusing, too.

angelbob:
Yui:
One with a very "interesting" execution, but yes. As I argue above, I believe that operator overloading gives a misleading name to almost every operation. If the only available function names were "add", "subtract", "list_reverse" and "dereference" I'd make the same argument about them. I'd argue that if you wanted to sort a linked list and call it "list_reverse" that it would be misleading, even though I don't think "subtract" or "dereference" is a better match for that concept.

So you're saying "but what better matches are there?" and I'm saying "choosing a small fixed number of names with existing different meanings is foolish."

If I were going to write a list reversal function I probably *would* call it list_reverse. I'd still say that a language feature that made you choose from those possible names, even if it were very convenient, would be basically misguided. And that's basically what operator overloading makes you do.

angelbob:
Yui:
No two developers agree on how to make Perl work cleanly -- and as a result, they never use it on big multiperson projects, or they do it so that it exists only in little chunks that can't touch each other, or anything else. There are exceptions, and they tend to be ugly. (Incidentally -- I *like* perl, don't get me wrong, and I use it frequently, but I still wouldn't build a MUD in it).

So when the original poster (remember when we had a topic?) asked "C, or C++?" I said "C". You're right, having a standard will help to prevent whatever subset of C++ you don't like from getting into the project. In practice it rarely works that way since you wind up having to rewrite submissions from people that didn't read the standards, but we'll pretend it always works. Fine.

Still, I believe that operator overloading is essentially wrongheaded, and that it should be avoided. I believe that a fine way to avoid it is to use a language that doesn't support it. If there was a variant dialect of C++ that added only features that you hated, would you declare that your project didn't use them, or would you just use the compiler that enforced the set of features you used?

Would you police your project standard by using a tool that did so for you, or would you say "well, I shouldn't discriminate against the language" and use the compiler that didn't?

I have a guess which one you'd do. And I *know* which one I do.

Yui:
The question in the original post was "C or C++". I chose C. You're welcome to say I'm being pigheaded and unreasonable by doing my MUD projects in C (old ones -- my new one is in LPC, which also doesn't have operator overloading).

So when I say "you should use C on your project. I do. Here are the features you avoid other people using, and some reasons I dislike them", you say I'm spoiling the broth. Of course, you also claim I'm altering the design of C++ by using C, but I'll ignore that for the moment, shall I?

cout << poster.name() << ", I am indeed.\n";
cout << "While I agree that your way works better for "
<< output_code.bold() << output_code.color("green")
<< "some" << output_code.unbold()
<< output_code.color("white");
cout << " things, I think there are others that help to";
cout << " counterbalance them.\n";

printf("Right-side formatting, for instance. And tables.\n");
printf("So, %s, I do say that. And yes, %s, we DO "
"disagree.", poster_name(), poster_name());
angelbob is offline   Reply With Quote