View Single Post
Old 09-14-2007, 12:10 PM   #423
the_logos
Legend

the_logos will become famous soon enough
Re: What does "Free" Mean?

In which case checkboxes won't do a thing since they completely fail to measure scale. Scale is also quite subjective insofar as nobody (including the game admin) is in a position to accurately measure the scale at which that kind of thing is happening.

I thought this was about players, not the admins? If the supposition is that some players want to play in a game where real money has no effect, it makes no difference whether the admin is selling items or other players are. In both cases, real money is having the same effect.

Ignoring reality in favor of whatever the admins proclaim policy to be would be the equivalent of checking a box saying that the US is murder-free just because it's against the law/admin policy. It'd be completely dishonest to do so.

I'm referring to players trading with each other for real money. Whether I can buy something from another player or from an admin makes no difference. In the end I have the thing I wanted to buy and I paid money for it. If the idea is to provide actual information to players then commenting on reality rather than policy is the way to go. After all, travel books don't just say, "In Rome, pickpocketing is illegal and thus there's no need to worry about it." It is against policy in Rome, of course, but it's also quite rampant. Admin policy only influences reality and it's reality that players experience, not admin wishful thinking.

--matt
the_logos is offline   Reply With Quote