View Single Post
Old 01-07-2004, 07:25 AM   #57
Mierza

Mierza is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Mierza
If you're thinking about a class based system, here is a format that I would consider using:

Each class has several professions available. For example, someone who chooses an Artisan class may have blacksmithing, woodworking, or seamstress/tailor professions available to them.

Professions are broken down into skill tree branches, for example blacksmithing has an armory skill branch, and a weaponry skill branch.

A character can earn skill points during RP, Quests, or even just time.. but they all have a maximum of 90 points that can ever be reached and spent.

So, lets say we make an Artisan character, and they decide to focus on their Blacksmithing. To become a Master Blacksmith, they'd need to master both armor and weapon smithing.

Say the character starts with their weapon smithing. Spending one skill points allows them to learn basic use of the tools involved. Spending three skill points on basic tool knowledge, allows them to get a higher tool knowledge. The higher the knowledge and practice, the higher the ability and chance of success when forging an item.

Okay, so say weapon smithing costs 15 skill points to Master, from learning the basic tools and procedures to get started, to crafting a dagger, then a small axe, then a sword.. each new skill costing a few more points to gain until they finally Master all the skills of weapon smithing, wich adds up to

Now, to completely Master a skill type like blacksmithing, for example, you'd need to spend 30 skill points in that area. Blacksmithing can also have several branches you can follow, like weaponry as one branch, armor as another branch. It takes 15 skill points to master each branch.

Master weaponsmith = 30 skill points
Master Armorsmith = 30 skill points

Therefor, to become a Master Blacksmith, you'd need to invest 60 points. And you'd have 30 skill points left over to spend in more trivial skills like swimming, basic cooking, etc.

Now, how atrophy got me into this?

Well, in real life you can only Master so much -or you can be a jack of all trades, but that's self explianatory.

Let's say our character here spent all his 90 points- 60 on being a Master Blacksmith, and the remaining 30 on some trival social skills -5 of those are spent on knowing how to cook seasoned and stuffed roast chicken with all the trimmings. -Hey, he's a big man, likes to eat well, and isn't married yet.

Now, our hero wants to invest some of his time learning to sing so that he can impress a pretty young maiden into marrying him. This means that he gives up several cooking points and now suffers on cans of baked beans.. after all it takes 5 minutes to heat, and making a roast takes hours.

Subtract 3 of his cooking points, add those 3 resources into his swimming area, and hey presto, he's sacrificed to learn his new skill -and still only got his 90 points, keeping him statistically equal to everyone else.

Ofcourse this is just a thought from the top of my head, and it'd need to be tried and tested before use.. as well as a skill system written up for it, but it's more food for thought none-the-less.. and something to think about if you want to choose a class based system. (Though I suppose you could modify it for a non-class based system too.)

Anyone had similar methods? Has it worked?

On another point, I think that Yui just highlighted a very good perspective. Whilst trying to make a realistic game, there are times when this has to be sacrificed in order to leave some 'fun' in the game.

First of all, picture it like a movie. Realistically? Alot of the fun action parts we see in high speed chases, heavy shoot outs, and the like, are not really realistic -they're there for entertainment. But it's all on the lines of bordering some kind of realism as set by the boundaries of the film. -What I mean by that is, different movies have different boundaries of what is realistic and what isn't. For example, in a modern day movie like rush hour, you don't see people casting magic, slaying dragons, or flying unaided. However in films such as dungeons & dragons, and X-men, such things are not unrealistic.. but they still have their limitations (like generally one super power each).

The point I'm trying to make here, is that they don't go into every tiny detail to proove realism. Like, they don't (usually) show the heroic male's 20 minute toilet excursion or the supeer beautiful crime fighting womans leg shavingm nose hair trimming, moustache waxing.. And it's for a reason.
-It's just for fun.

Take Grand Theft Auto and all its sequels, for example, and you'll see how characters get to steal cars, murder people, blow up buildings, go beyond the boundaries of every day life. Why? Because it's fun. Sometimes going on a mad massmurder rampage can be wickedly satisfying.

-That's why I like to offer incentives for all the different types of players out there. Although balancing them.. can be a different story.

When it comes to choosing between a class vs non-class system, you really have to think "What kind of playerbase am I aiming for?" and "Do I want to attract RP players who are more interested in realistic skill approaches, or would I prefer some hack and slashes who want easy to use stat systems? and make your choice from there.
Mierza is offline   Reply With Quote