View Single Post
Old 08-27-2004, 07:43 PM   #29
prof1515

prof1515 will become famous soon enoughprof1515 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to prof1515 Send a message via Yahoo to prof1515
Yes, I'm sure the chess champions of the world would flock to play hack-and-slash MUDs for the strategy. After all, that's why they all do, don't they?

Chess takes a helluva lot more intelligence to play than any hack-and-slash or role-playing MUD. But the difference between a H&S and an RP MUD is that anybody can type <kill mob> while not everyone has the ability to interact in-character without looking like something out of a bad high-school play rehearsal.

But seeing as the original poster's topic has been f---ed over enough, I'm going to bow out. You're welcome to believe your'e right. You're welcome to believe that some H&S MUD is equal to chess in terms of pure strategy. You're welcome to believe that the majority, #### nearly all, MUDs out there don't suck. But, it's not fair to the person who posted originally since this discussion was not about the good and bad of role-play versus hack-and-slash or whether or not typing "kill" makes you a strategist.

And I happen to share the original poster's desire for there to some day be a good science fiction MUD though I'd prefer one that was well-designed and emphasized role-play over pure combat. Do I think it will happen? Perhaps, but not likely. Still, I'm holding on to the hope that one will emerge.

It'd be refreshing in light of all the crap that's out there now.

Take care,

Jason, who forgot about how many insecurities many in this forum have regarding their MUDs.
prof1515 is offline   Reply With Quote