Thread: RP Pet-peeves
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 12:03 PM   #14
lckychrmsrr

lckychrmsrr is on a distinguished road
The IC/OOC thing:

In an RP mud IC and OOC must be separated. If they are not the totall RP environment get polluted and your ability to stay in character gets compromised. Using OOC knowledge ICly is the worst. If there was no way your character could ever know that then they don't. I have helped out countless newbies and we even have an area in the game where you can interact OOCly to help out new players (ie. demonstratin IC actions, items, etc.) without being a distraction to those trying to RP. If a newbie has a question about the game mechanics, stats, etc. I help them out. If they ask about the IC aspects of the game like, "Where can I get the 'Sword of Power'?" then I tell them thats IC info and I'm not allowed to give it out. That is often followed up with an explaination about why OOC and IC info needs to be separated and how you can tell.

My peeves:

*Correcting a mispelled word with a cough then repeating that word. We all make typos, if we knew what you meant with it leave it alone. If its spoken speech we heard the sounds not the spelling anyway.

*F-off attitude. Come on now, there HAS to be someone who actually has a fear of something or someone else. Why does every character you run across always seem like they are invincible and they don't care if anyone threatens them?

*Super Powers. Unless you're a cat your eyes can't glow (then its only the appearance of a glow). Beams of light can't shoot out of your eyes. The list can go on and ong but leave the super powers at home. How embarrassing is it when you the "super" powerful one gets beat down by the guy that looks like a beggar.

*I'm so pretty. I have nothing against wanting to live out your fantasies and being a built beautifully sculpted person...but come on now. Eveyone has radiant blue/green eyes, long flowing hair, fair blemish free skin (thats right not ONE single blemish anywhere), and the body of a Greek god/goddess. I applaud those who build flaws into their descriptions or just make a normal (depending on race) one.

*Back to the OOC/IC stuff. When someone asks in game about OOC stats. This drives me nuts. How many of you have ever been asked "What level are you?" or "What's your hitroll?" Wether its in a tell or worse asked ICly its just annoying. Knowing that information give you an advantage over me, but more so its breaks the RP setting. It now seems like we're describing a piece of harware instead of a "real" being.

** The bigest one ** I realize that we get multiple multiple reincarnations when we die (at least on the mud I play) but please please please take your death at least somewhat seriously. I cannot stand when I hear someone say "Oh man, I just died...yeah it sucked, it took me five minutes to get back to that mob to finish it off" YOU JUST DIED!!! Shouldn't you be at home recovering? Or better yet, why would you immediately after gaining the gift of new life from the gods risk it again with no thought? Single-death muds don't have this problem, cause when you die you're gone, but if you get killed for some stupid reason (or computer freezing so you can't flee) its gets really annoying real quick. If you think you wouldn't do "this" and currently play a single-death mud I encourage you to play a mult-death one. We'll see how easily you type "delete char" after you die.

I think thats it for now, thought it may seem there are a lot of things I don't like, there are infinitely more that I do enjoy. If I tried to post all the features I enjoy I would run out of posting space.
lckychrmsrr is offline   Reply With Quote