View Single Post
Old 07-29-2004, 03:16 PM   #34
Theomanic

Theomanic is on a distinguished road
Send a message via ICQ to Theomanic
First of all, I tried playing Achaea, and I went to their website first.  I was aware that you could pay to do better, but I wanted to see what all the hype was about.  (Love the webpage, by the way.)

While I don't think Achaea is dishonest in saying that they are free, I do agree that it really sucks to play a game where nothing you do will ever get you as good as people who can afford to throw money at it.  One of the great things about MUDs is that they run pretty much the same on most computers, and they're often free, meaning everyone is on a balanced playing field.  Sure, Achaea isn't technically "pay to play", but it's "pay to be able to do better".

Achaea was alright, I didn't really overly enjoy it.  I found the players very helpful and friendly, but the actual MUD itself seemed a bit sloppy.  Maybe I'm just used to a different style.  But it was easy to learn if only because *so* many people were offering help.  I certainly wouldn't pay to play on it myself, but that's definitely a choice everyone is free to make on their own.  At least in being free to try I could make that decision.

- Theomanic
Theomanic is offline   Reply With Quote