View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #18
Milawe

Home MUD: Threshold RPG
Home MUD: Stash
Home MUD: Archons of Avenshar
Milawe has a spectacular aura aboutMilawe has a spectacular aura about
Re: What turns people from RP?

I find this question really entertaining since we run an RP enforced game and an IC enforced game, but I know EXACTLY what the OP is saying because I get the same feeling whenever I play an MMO.

At the very heart of it all, MUDs are games, and people play games in very different ways. When I play a MUD, I prefer to find an RP setting because I enjoy writing, describing my character, and playing something very different than I am in real life.

In an MMO, however, I play on RP servers only if they offer serious PvP, and that's only because I find that PvP can be very fulfilling (and often easier) on RP servers. Also, I can't help but giggle to myself a little bit when I'm killing someone while they're delayed by their RP scripts. I find interacting with other players on MMOs extremely clunky, slow, and in general, not conducive to RP at all... especially with everyone going to Vent. When I'm typing out what my character is saying, it allows me a separation and distance that lets me play my character without being self-concious. There's absolutely no way for me to do that via voice. You'll very rarely catch me RPing on an MMO because I feel like it's a waste of time and absolutely NOT FUN. I like the graphics for dimensional PvP and positionals.

It's not very hard then for me to translate how I feel to how some people might feel on a MUD. People often feel that their avatar is an extension of themselves. Some people have no desire to RP and prefer to let the game mechanics and their stats build their character. Others are intimidated by RP and don't want to be forced to do it all the time. Others just don't want to work that hard when playing a game. Still others just think it's plain stupid. And ultimately, people aren't born equal. Some people have a gift for RPing and others have it in varying degrees. Like anything else, people who aren't comfortable or good at it, may not enjoy it as much as the people who like it no matter how good they are at it.

I do think that RP enforced games that are unforgiving of basic mistakes and don't make allowances for new players drive a lot of people to swear off RP enforced games forever.
Milawe is offline   Reply With Quote