View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 09:53 PM   #20
Sasca

Sasca is on a distinguished road
Re: What turns people from RP?

For me, Roleplaying is a combination of imagination and acting. you imagine yourself to be a character, and you act the way that you think that character would. I agree with Elvarlyn, too- some of my characters are very much like me, with the exception of them having the abilities that I don't have. RP is quite a personal thing, really, isn't it? Some people revel in playing what they feel is a direct opposite of themselves- perhaps they play an all-out evil SOB or someone who's very akin to nature- but they still incorporate themselves into a character. People who want to play a MUD and just want to try life out as an Elven scout or a Demonic priest, well, they wouldn't have much fun on an enforced RP game. I personally don't get involved with MUSHes because I am turned off by the whole 'six-line emote' reputation that MUSHes have. I don't want to wait for a well-thought-out constructed response. I want the real-time action and the 'witty one-liners'. RP's often about how quick you are on your feet, and how well you adapt to playing someone who is not you. You get to think like your character, and react as your character would; for me, that's what makes it so awesome.

I'm amused by the idea that some people think 'people pretending to be someone else is weird'. How about plays, or films, or most TV shows? Watching someone pretending to be someone else seems perfectly acceptable- and yet the idea of actually taking part in a plot and making your way with a character seems 'weird' to some. I suppose what puts people off RP is what perhaps made them hesitant to join in with RP in the first place- it's wild, it's unpredictable, and if it's done well, it can be emotionally involving. I agree that having to be logged in to a certain place at a certain time (I know all about awkward times, as I'm a good five hours forward in timezones than most MUDders) is a real pain in the arse, but I've played a lot of MUDs and good RP and fun wasn't all about being at a town meeting or whatever. The most fun I've had has been small meetings, impromptu gatherings and chance meetings in a tavern somewhere.

Anyway, Roleplaying will always be down to what an individual enjoys. It's imagination, it's acting, it's running about as an elf/demon/lord/cleric whatever. I suppose it boils down to playing a game where you're not just yourself; and for a lot of people, that can be a welcomed break.

Last edited by Sasca : 08-24-2010 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Correctin' typos.
Sasca is offline   Reply With Quote