View Single Post
Old 04-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #5
Ide

Ide will become famous soon enoughIde will become famous soon enough
Re: RP Intensive mud with no need for description

I'm not quite sure I understand the OP, but guessing that Samio means a RPI where you don't have to write lengthy descriptions for your character, IIRC Armageddon doesn't have a requirement for a long history or character desc. I think I wrote 2 or 3 paragraphs when I made a character there and that's it.

Unfortunately, as KaVir noted, it seems like most RPIs and mushes require lengthy descriptions and histories. As a writing exercise that's OK, but in practice most of these don't end up being that good IMO.

I think it's rather odd to say that generated descriptions can get routine -- wouldn't static descriptions get routine too? The simple fact is that all text in a mud is going to get stale after a while, because by the nature of the beast text gets repeated. If you take this to its illogical conclusion you'd want no descriptions, as then you could rely on players to create new content for you. Dynamic descriptions, however, can not only break up the monotony a bit, they sometimes serve a useful gameplay function that's not just cosmetic.

What I find interesting is that a player who may not be able or willing to write good descriptions/histories often can be very fun to RP with, whether it's because of their personality, dramatic ability, spontaneity, humor, etc -- things that don't often find expression in a static description.

If there was a mud with minimal descriptions but RP required, I'd definitely check it out.
Ide is offline   Reply With Quote