View Single Post
Old 04-08-2006, 07:51 AM   #7
nass

nass is on a distinguished road
Great topic guys. Lessee, advertising to non mudders.

I'm very big on search engines - I've always made it a point to rank as high as possible for every "wheel of time" related search on every search engine that I can manage. This is ongoing and I do a lot of work to this end.

We also used to do a lot of banner ad stuff with rpghost and other banner networks. They still work, but with banner blocking software they're just not as effective. Also, when I tried a few a few month back I found some really tasteless stuff on these networks now so I didn't really want to continue.

I've always emailed editors of major gaming websites to feature us, and I find that the fact that we're actually 100% free, ie an altruistic exercise (because we can) helps us a lot with that. We've had some notable successes that way.

There's the usual directory submission stuff but that doesn't really help that much nowadays. ODP etc are dead in terms of traffic as far as I can tell. We've also tried some other offline things like miniposters, cards in libraries etc but they're not effective.

I have to say I kinda disagree about mentioning it's text last. I find that if you spend a lot of time and effort trying to persuade potential players to play your RPG without telling them its text you're wasting a lot because most walk away once they realise.
nass is offline   Reply With Quote