View Single Post
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
Re: What constitutes a good PK system?

After reading the posts in this thread, I would second Will's thought here. Each of the PK ideas might be good In And Of Themselves, however, I don't think putting most/all of them together in the same MUD is a good idea. I personally wouldn't like to play a game that has several PK "systems" built into one.

I think you should design your PK system based on what you want to excel at. What aspect of PK do you want to be the "Best" at? And because you already have a game in-place with active players, I would suggest making your choice from their suggestions. Take all of their suggestions of what they want in THEIR PK system - I'll bet they will filter down to a few specific approaches - and then determine which one you want to focus on. If you try to change the system to much, or if you try and make the system "All Things to all Players", I believe you will lose to many players from the switch.

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can please SOME of the people most of the time.

As for what I look for - it's been a long time since I went looking for a PK MUD, but I always liked a balanced system that rewarded the negative side of dying to other players. I didn't care about ranks, but I wanted to be able to loot SOMETHING from the person I PKed! And I always felt that arbitrary regulations on the PK system never really accomplished much.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote