View Single Post
Old 08-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #13
camlorn

camlorn is on a distinguished road
Re: Need for a new MUD engine?

Just thought I'd chime in here, to mention a couple things.
First, what KaVir says about mud clients is totally and completely correct; I just want to add that you'd also be alienating blind players, which aren't as rare as you'd think. Every mud seems to have one, and some of the larger muds get into the double digits; gw2 has or had, last time I played, quite a few; alter aeon has a large enough group that there's been a premade client package for them; and Miriani has like 30 blind players.

Also, documentation. I can't stress this enough. Current mud engines either are documented poorly or not at all. Lpc, for instance, has about as many variants as there's drivers for it, and most of those don't have online documentation, anymore. The best documented mudlib I've found so far is dead souls, which does a passable job, but not everything is documented, which is frustrating. On the other hand, we've got smaug. Smaug's not a bad engine, but there's next to no documentation on how it actually works. Given the coding environment for that, it'd be nice to know how stuff actually works, instead of just add these lines here.

Anyhow, just my two cents.
camlorn is offline   Reply With Quote