Thread: MUD: at school
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2003, 10:58 AM   #23
Terloch

Terloch is on a distinguished road
This is off-topic, sort of, but hey, run with it...

The concept of working 8-5 with an hour lunch is outdated and only really can be applied effectively in certain instances.

I work in an IT department, my services are pretty much on demand.  Yes I have projects which I have to devote time to at times, but none of the are the "I need it now!" variety.  Do i work "regular hours", well, yeah, sort of, but if something dies at 4:59pm, guess what, I'm not going home with the crowd at 5:00pm.  As long as things which are expected of my position are completed, and done timely, my bosss could care less if I am posting on TMS, reading Fark, writing code, etc.  I perform exactly what he needs me to do on a "on site, on call" basis, and he's perfectly happy with that.  We have people in our office who work flex time, we have people who work nights, we have people who come in promptly at 8am, take a lunch propmptly at 12:00 noon, and leave at 5:00 on the dot.  Do any of them perform any better or worse for it?  Probably not, in fact if it suits their own schedule and preference better, they probably perform BETTER than they would locked into a schedule.

I defy anyone to say I have no work ethic in my office, and gee, I surf the net, play games, write code, AND do my job...
Terloch is offline   Reply With Quote