Thread: Food?
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2002, 08:28 AM   #8
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
One aspect of this is that most players seem to detest the 'You are hungry/thirsty' messages. I never really understood why, it can't be all that hard to type 'eat pie'? And unless the messages are set to occur so often that it gets spammy, it makes perfect sence to me, that hunger and thirst should affect you negatively. In our mud you don't die from it, but sometimes I am tempted to implement that...

Being a food fan myself, I put plenty of food in the zones, so there is no need to starve. You don't even need to buy the food, you can pick berries, nuts, mushrooms and roots, or fish and hunt. But you can also dine in style on roast venison and a noble Bourdeaux wine, or satisfy your taste for junkfood in our Future zones.

We try to make the food supply correspond with the theme for the zone of course, so on a Greek island you'd eat things like shrimps, marinated octopus, moussaka and shishkebab and drink retsina, and in an Old West diner perhaps baked beans, ham and pancakes with maple syrup to your strong coffee. And in Ancient Egypt you'd feast on antelope steak and cinnamon flavoured honey cookies and drink the famous Egyptian Elephantine Beer (yes, the old Egyptians did have beer).

It should all add to the Roleplay in my opinion. Maybe a mud with a more restricted theme would also have to have a more restricted menue, but our mud is after all based on Time Travel, so the variety makes perfect sense to me.
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote