Thread: GM Style
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2009, 11:11 AM   #4
Jazuela

Jazuela will become famous soon enoughJazuela will become famous soon enough
Re: GM Style

A lot of the inspiration for the events I came up with, originated from real life experience. I based my little girl NPC on a combination of a boy who had moderate down's syndrome in the neighborhood where I grew up, and some of the characters Shirley Temple played in movies when she was a little girl. The fortuneteller's personality was partly one of my old uncles who used to take his dentures out of his mouth to make us all laugh, another uncle who was a "happy" drunk, and an absentminded aunt. I tossed in a bit of narcolepsy for extra comedic effect; she'd start snoring in the middle of sentences and jerk back awake, asking the nearest male for a kiss while she smacked her gums lavisciously. It became her trademark

Storytelling with the little girl was partly inspired by something I'd seen in another game, and partly from campfire circles when I was in the girl scouts. Another event involving a missing person came from a newspaper article I'd read about some body being found washed up on the shoreline near my home town and how people were all scrambling to find clues and discover what had happened to him (we didn't have DNA testing and forensics wasn't as advanced as it is now).

I think it's always easier to come up with ideas, if you can take a look around the world you actually live in. Grab a tiny spark of interesting fluff, and blow it up into something remarkable.
Jazuela is offline   Reply With Quote