Thread: FCC Blames WoW
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #4
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: FCC Blames WoW

People are probably in denial about it. It could really be anything that cause problem though. Depression, playing too much games, watching too much TV, and the list goes on.

What must be kept in mind when looking at WoW is what makes it special. It is a subscription based game. You pay a monthly fee to play it. This means that it is within Blizzard's interest to maximize people's addiction to the game because else they would lose customers and that is not good for business.

Take a look at this website I found: . Is it fake? I doubt it.

At "Todays Top Games" over at you realize something bad is going on. You see there that at least for those who use xfire how WoW totally dominates the other games. The charts at also show how WoW keep sucking people in.

There are also TV ads to push people into WoW. For example and this is for one of the largest MMORPGs in terms of subscriptions. Does WoW not have enough players already?

I remember years ago I read some articles explaining how huge Everquest was, but from looking at the mmogcharts I now understand that Everquest was very small. From the chart you see it only had max 250K subscribers at one time, while WoW currently has some 10-11 million subscribers. That is 44 times as large as Everquest.

This is bad. Very bad. It is bad because Blizzard pretty clearly want to suck people into an addiction for its own profit, and it is bad for us as well because players in the MUD community probably leave for WoW.

Last edited by Aeran : 12-13-2008 at 06:38 AM.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote