View Single Post
Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #9
shevegen

shevegen is on a distinguished road
Re: Achieving a balance?

"necro" does not exist - the commenter added valuable insights into statements made at an earlier time which were not entirely accurate.

If you were to label that as "necro", why are old posts kept available? Why is it possible to write to old threads?

Because the forum admins did not seem it a problem as other people.

So I think Freela did not "necro" at all, rather the opposite - Freela resurrected a valuable post and enhanced it with new information.

Now to the problem at hand - I don't think there exists a "perfect" MUD. All of them have shortcomings, or different points to focus on.

The statement that good RPers are not always good PKers are very, very true. Some RPers don't care about PK. They dont want to aggro-play, they just want to have interesting storylines (PKers can add to this, but sometimes they can also destroy good storylines; it's not a simple topic).

Even MUDs without any "levels" do have PK of "newbies" depending on the behaviour of said newbies. Such as, a newbie turning evil as soon as possible, killing NPCs, and then being surprised or whiney when the established heroes bring down that newbie. It's very annoying when such "newbies" start to whine out of character when they started such actions before they ragequit.

What partially worked was that other NPCs tried to help defend against random-PKers, but that can also get out of hand because if you have NPCs become as useful, there is little need for PC-PC interaction.

To the original threadstarter - "I don't want to be one of only 20 players either"

Many MUDs are rather smallish and would desperately need new players. If people are not willing to increase the amount of players, then these MUDs can not grow. And many MUDs with +100 players are pure hack and slay without any real roleplay...
shevegen is offline   Reply With Quote