View Single Post
Old 10-30-2003, 05:52 AM   #4
KaVir
Legend

Name: Richard
Home MUD: God Wars II
KaVir will become famous soon enoughKaVir will become famous soon enough
Personally I went for a coordinate-based system, as I consider it far superior to rooms when it comes to combat. It provides an excellent way to handle missile weapons, as well as weapon reach (for melee combat). It also allows players to utilise extensive footwork - circling, advancing, retreating, etc - which should play a vital part of combat, but which is rarely simulated in a mud. The learning curve isn't too bad, as long as you keep the interface fairly straightforward and provide the player with some sort of automated assistance.

Regarding the "action point" and "timer-based" methods, I found it better to combine the two. The former helps offset the problems of lag and typing speed, while the latter prevents people from saving up hundreds of action points and then throwing off a lightning-fast flurry of attacks - although people do still tend to save up action points, particularly as I allow them to act simultaneously with 3 independent body locations, and this can result in some very fast and furious fights, eg:

You perform the technique known as 'Coiled Viper Watches Prey'.
You pull your rapier in close to your body.
You perform the technique known as 'Striking Viper'.
You deftly stab your rapier at Blight!
Blight parries the blow with his left shortsword!
Blight raises his right shortsword into a defensive guard.
Blight performs the technique known as 'Swaying Dance of the Snake'.
Blight weaves his left shortsword around his body in a hypnotic defensive motion
You bash your tower shield into Blight's chest!
You lash out with a front kick at Blight.
Blight parries the blow with his left shortsword!

Spazmatic also makes a good point about equipment - it should be carefully balanced and (particularly if your mud has an emphasis on combat) should allow for a wide range of tactics. Weapon range/reach, offensive/defensive bonuses, protection rating for covered locations against different types of damage (for worn equipment such as clothing and armour), encumbrance penalties, etc - these are all things you could take into account.

You should also remember that different weapons should be used differently, and in theory every item should be usable as a weapon (even if it doesn't make a particularly good one). But IMO making weapons distinct from each other is very important - I find it very offputting when I pick up a longbow and discover that it works exactly the same as a sword, with just a different damage message! But when each weapon requires a whole new approach to combat, it provides players with plenty of new things to try (while allowing the inexperienced players to stick with a nice simple weapon).

But don't forget, there is no "best" combat system. Every player likes something different, so choose your audience and develop accordingly. If you want to appeal to a wide range of players, then you may want to stick with something very simple. If you're trying to appeal to hardcore PKers then you're probably going to need something with a lot more depth.
KaVir is offline   Reply With Quote