View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010, 07:18 AM   #16
MudMann

Home MUD: Primordiax
Home MUD: Threshold
MudMann will become famous soon enough
Re: Are MUDs still popular?

There is a way of getting a good playerbase, and that is to hit a popular genre of somekind without actually hitting copywrite laws.

If I ever decided for fun to develop a mud, I know exactly what genre I would hit. I am not going to share, but I know it would have a valid and interested playerbase almost immediatly.

A bit of reasearch on what is out there might reveal a nugget you can exploit to your advantage and then actually hit the fan sites for those as opposed to this website. Go for a whole new player base as opposed to ones with loyalties already.

You cant quit on a project simply because you feel it wont be a success. A new -fresh- approach not aimed at the existing player base may rejuvinate the text based MMO / MUD.

Primordiax has quiet periods, and is still very much indevelopment and has not has any kind of major advertising push as of yet, but it can have 25-30+ online at peak times expecially when there is an RPT, and most of these players are new to MUD's and more importantly are NOT ex / current Threshold players.

EDIT - This is not saying Threshers are bad, just emphasising it is not Frogdice loyalty that is fueling the playerbase

A good game can WORK, and as mentioned and advise, I personally think it is all about the interface now.

Just replicate the standard interface of all todays MMO's and stick a text box in the middle. You then have an interface that 20+ million people can use easily.
MudMann is offline   Reply With Quote