View Single Post
Old 02-20-2004, 04:43 PM   #27
shadowfyr

shadowfyr will become famous soon enough
Hmm. Ok. My comments...

AFK - It can be odd to find someone hidding in an obscure corner then looking at the who output and seeing that they are idle. However, on the mud where I play there is always to option of going back to your house and sitting there. There is also an AFK command, so players trying to talk to someone (even is the Idle timer hasn't kicked in yet) know that they are not there. This imho makes a lot more sense than kicking the person off, but then if you are kicked off, you would drop everything you are carrying/wearing, which would be quite bad.

In general, it isn't a major issue unless you are on some mud that requires you to be in front of the machine 100% of the tiem to respond. Which is impractical and bloody stupid imho.

Movement - There was a recent comment by someone on my mud about having ships or horses, etc. added. Right now if you have climb and swim skills or can fly, you can go pretty much anyplace in the amount of time it takes to type the commands or execute a speed walk. In some respects this is quite dumb. However, my first thought was, 'hmm.. what if players had a certain number of moves they could make per minute?'. Thus you would still take a long time to get from point A to B.

The one thing I would have never thought of is the insane concept that you should be able to basically run 50 rooms (at the same pace as everyone else) and then have to spend hours recovering before moving again. Huh?!? How does this even make sense? Yeah, so someone that is 'faster' could move farther in terms of distance, but shouldn't that then be considered indurance? Speed means tow people starting in the same room at the same moment and both travelling 10 rooms should 'never' arrive at the last room at the same time, unless they both have the same speed.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I consider this an example of the BS method many designers use of implimenting the easiest solution to a problem, instead of the right one. It is much easier to limit how many moves someone can make in a day, but that isn't the *right* solution to make it even barely realistic and the end result is ****ed off players that find themselves camping out for a day, just so they can move again.

Note: Using a x-moves per minute scheme also allows you to track cumulative exhaustion. If you have 20 moves a minute and use all 10, then the next time you may only be allowed 19, until eventually you are forced to rest in order to 'recover' completely. Moving at a slower pace to avoid this becomes a choice, instead of forcing you to stop periodically for no reason, as it seems some of these muds make you.
shadowfyr is offline   Reply With Quote