View Single Post
Old 07-22-2008, 08:34 AM   #9
Aeran

Aeran is on a distinguished road
Re: Triggers, scripts, and bots

You could of course ban certain clients, and only allow certified clients to connect to the game.

Many bots are very simple. Echoing out suspect text to the botter can be a very good tool to indicate if there are triggers running the character. Forcing a recall to start room to a suspect bot also is good indication if it gets stuck.

I haven't used such a tool but I imagine it might not be as pleasant to use as a builtin solution. The next step is of course to have the client scan the memory for suspect tools and report its findings back to the server.

Remember that manipulating a client's memory might be a breach of EULA. Take a look at the recent discussion about a certain WoW bot tool

My own opinion is that if a lot of people write bots then it is not anything wrong with the people but with the MUD. If a MUD's game play can be summarized by {kill %1, gain %1} then it is definitely understandable. There's also those players who actually seem to find it to be more fun to construct bots than actually playing the game due to the challenge alone to construct a well working bot. Thinking about it that might in many MUDs be way more constructive than actually playing the game.
Aeran is offline   Reply With Quote