View Single Post
Old 06-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #16
Estarra

Home MUD: Lusternia
Estarra is on a distinguished road
Re: RIP: Farrah and Michael

If no one cared, then he wouldn't be on every single news station! It's a win-win situation insofar as the public gets what it wants (sensational coverage) and the stations get what they want (more advertising money).

Right or wrong, some people transcend who they are and thus icons are born. I must admit that I've gotten a bit nostalgic with the passing of MJ and Farrah. Then again, I am of a 'certain age' when they were a huge part of the culture of the time. If you are under 35, then you probably don't realize how big Farrah was. I remember guys drooling over her in Logan's Run and all the talk in high school was about Farrah the day after a Charlie's Angels episode. To get a true feeling of her impact, just open up any yearbook in the late 70's/early 80's and you will see Farrah's 'feathered' hairstyle being copied by almost every girl in every age group. She was the Marilyn Monroe of the time--or maybe comparable to Angelina Jolie now.

There is currently no one right now comparable to Michael Jackson, so if you weren't around in his heyday, it's hard to articulate. MJ was as big as Sinatra or Elvis or the Beatles. Admittedly, he went off my radar in the 90's but hearing about his death and seeing the retrospectives on television has brought up a lot of memories for me.

Yes, people die every day, but not all people are icons. For me (and I imagine others), their deaths mark the passing of symbols that shaped the culture of the time we grew up in. So forgive us for tuning into the media coverage and allow us to indulge in a bit of reminiscing.
Estarra is offline   Reply With Quote