Thread: Basics
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 01:01 AM   #17
Ilkidarios

Name: Lamont
Ilkidarios is on a distinguished road
Normally, I don't feel the need to get involved in conversations like these, but I think Matt's point was misinterpreted here.

I'm gonna start off by trimming the personal attacks off the posts so we can focus on the points made.

Matt says that MUDs don't require killing, right?  That's true.  They also don't require defecating, and that's true as well.  What he's saying here is that in MUDs, the ability to kill is reliant on the ability to kill.  The MUD administrator has the option to put in a killing mechanic, but it's not neccessary by nature.

I think that a MUD administrator could put as much emphasis on a defecation system as a combat system, like I said, it's the choice of the designer.

But you're right KaVir, MUDs generally don't put as much emphasis on a defecation mechanic as on a combat system, but there's nothing inherent in MUDs that prevents this from being so, and I think that's what Matt was trying to say.  Someone could go out tomorrow and make doodooMUD, in which the prime focus of the game is defecation.  I mean, there's nothing stopping it.
Ilkidarios is offline   Reply With Quote