Thread: Basics
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2006, 03:15 AM   #18
Lanthum

Lanthum is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Lanthum
But again trimming off the fat from the posts and getting to the point - the otherside's point:

Making an argument for Everything that is possible (defecating, et al) versus sticking with the discussion about what is prevalent (combat) in MUDs doesn't seem to make much sense.

** Note: What follows is my opinion, I've done no research on this **
But I would venture a guess that ALMOST ALL of the games listed here, and probably on most MUD listing sites, put a heavy emphasis on conflict.  Whether or not they have detailed mechanics coded or not; despite if it's hardcoded or softcoded, emoted or commands.  Let's face it - conflict is what makes games fun.  And of those games - I'll bet that MOST of them put a (heavy) emphasis on resolving that conflict through some form of violence/combat.

I think what some of the posters, myself included, are saying is that for many people if your game is going to center around conflict and combat - why would you choose to not allow it?  Many players need to know that PvP conflict can and does take place, even if they don't want to be a part of it, so that they know accountability of actions to other players is present in the game.
Lanthum is offline   Reply With Quote