View Single Post
Old 08-17-2003, 05:31 PM   #9
Molly

Home MUD: 4 Dimensions
Molly will become famous soon enoughMolly will become famous soon enough
So cowtipping is a sport in the UK?

Never heard of it, but I did hear of an Englishman who used to wrestle horses

His name is Harvey Smith, and he was – probably still is – a famous rider, who competed in show-jumping. He was very successful, in spite of the fact that he was uncommonly tall and heavy. And he used to wrestle with his horses, as a part of their physical training. He actually wrestled them to the ground, but I guess there must have been some trick to it, even for a man of his size and strength.

Apart from his skills as a rider and his somewhat unorthodox training methods, Harvey Smith was mostly famous for having said publicly and loudly that Princess Anne couldn’t ride. This was not only a bit rude, but also debatable, because even if the Princess’ riding skills didn’t quite match Mr Smith’s, she rode well enough to earn a place in the British equestrian Olympic team for Three day event.

And even though her royal status may have had some impact on her being chosen for this honour, I doubt that it was totally dependant on the fact that the team leader, or whoever appointed the team, wanted to kiss the royal ass.  She actually must have been a pretty good rider. True enough, she did seem to fall off her horse a lot, but then again, so did the rest of the team. It seems falling off your horse is an integrated part of this branch of equestrian sport..
Molly is offline   Reply With Quote