Thread: Varied Areas
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2002, 09:36 AM   #7
OnyxFlame

OnyxFlame is on a distinguished road
On the mud I play there's a few areas similar to what TG_Hammar mentioned. I haven't explored either of them in depth so I don't know intricate details of how flavorful they are or anything, but they're interesting.

One is a swamp where everything is random. You may exit one room to the east, and end up in another room where the exits go north and south. Many people have starved to death while exploring it, not to mention all the deadly swamp critters, some of which can eat you and you have to hack your way out of their stomachs before the acid kills you. There's even a skill called navigation which helps you keep from getting lost, but I'm not sure how it works. I have no idea how large this area is either.

Another is the Underdark, which isn't filled with drow or anything but has more nasties than anyone's ever been able to report about. This area is rumored to have 10,000 rooms, but I doubt even the most skilled explorers know everything about it. The main reason it's never been conquered is that it's damn near impossible to map accurately because rooms twist back in on themselves so you may have 6 rooms that all share the same space, except they're on different levels and the only way to tell which levels they're on is if you have high spelunking skill, which makes it easier to tell whether you're going up or down. Oh and did I mention spells are nigh on impossible to cast in some rooms? Very evil place.
OnyxFlame is offline   Reply With Quote