View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 04:29 PM   #15
Fern

Fern is on a distinguished road
Spazmatic pointed out that, at one point, experience gains were visible and that that was quite some time ago.  Yes, it was.  We have changed it, along with dozens of other systems in the game.  That's the beauty of being in beta - we change things, sometimes dramatically.  He also points out that no matter which way I choose to answer Valg's question, "I fail to see where you stand to lose."  That one I can easily answer.

I do not claim that we have happened upon the Perfect Mousetrap.  I am not claiming that we have uncovered the Holy Grail of Roleplay Experience Award Algorithms.   Neither is the case.  We have found a method to allow those who wish to roleplay non-combat characters and make progress toward levels.  We have found a way to encourage the combatist to interact with the world and other players, if he so chooses in a roleplay manner.   It's simple, it's objective, it's equitable, and yes - it can probably be taken advantage of if someone is determined to do so.  I'm not claiming it is bulletproof, nor am I claiming that it is without security measures and oversight.

As a result of this measure, we have seen a small rise in the population of roleplayers, a lot of smiles on the hard-core roleplayers, a few people cross over from the pure hack/slash approach to a mixture of activities, and the balance of the hack/slashers shrugging and picking up their swords to continue to beat the foe into submission the best way they enjoy. One person spent a great deal of time and effort trying to 'game' the system.  He was unimpressed with the results (he gained nothing).

Valg:  I appreciate your offer to keep further discussions of this on a private level.  Thank you.
Fern is offline   Reply With Quote