View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
silvarilon

silvarilon is on a distinguished road
Re: Giving Critical Review of, and Suggestions to Correct Problems, on Games we used

Check! On to task two.
(But notice it's not about "making a new game without the problems" - it's about "destroying the game that already exists")

Pretty much, yep.
The Castle Marrach staff really do have a very relaxed attitude when it comes to offering other games to their playerbase.
Spammers forum posts etc. get deleted, but if it's a current or ex player saying "Hey guys, I'm now playing game X, and think you'll enjoy it" they seem to be totally cool.

They also welcome players who are no longer playing the MUD to continue to participate in the forums and wider community.

But hey, you can't really have it both ways, can you? Darren has repeatedly criticized the staff for not enforcing rules more strictly, while not recognizing that the staff letting him/Ambra advertise their SL castle would be banned in most games.

Although I think it's clear that Darren isn't really that upset at the staff. He's upset at not being able to "punish" the players that he's resentful towards. And the finger gets pointed at the staff, because they're the ones standing between him and those players.

*ahem*
Uh, nice sentiment. Super constructive.

I can't imagine why staff wouldn't let him run a plot specifically designed to "bring about the ruin" of certain characters that he dislikes.
Especially since they make an effort to keep plots open-ended, so the actions of characters is what decides the outcome.

... yeah.

Considering it's been eight months since he was banned, I'm honestly surprised he can still keep up such a head of steam about it.

Now, don't get me wrong. There are plenty of things I dislike about Castle Marrach (I don't play, but I have tried it out, and I know many players) - but I recognize that all my dislikes are purely flavor issues. I happen to prefer a slightly different type of game (and thus I ran my game slightly differently) - but there's nothing that I can objectively say that I do better than them. Or that I can objectively say they are doing "wrong."

Actually, I find that trying to understand why someone does something that I disagree with can be one of the most useful tools for improving my own game. They will usually have a reason that I haven't considered, which might change my opinion, or at least give me something to think about. Often it's possible to find another solution to gain the same benefits without the aspect that I dislike.
silvarilon is offline   Reply With Quote